Den Kiri

Day 686 SK   Destination: Coruscant Republic Base   1400 hours

Day 686 SK
   Destination: Coruscant Republic Base
   1400 hours

"Pup!"

Wolffe calls me from the entrance to the training room. Comet takes advantage of my moment of distraction by ramming into my stomach and lifting me onto his shoulder. I reach back and wrap my arm around his neck, cutting off his air. He hits my leg three times and I let go as he sets me down.

I stick my tongue out at him. He mimics it and I snort, jogging over to Wolffe, who stands beside General Plo. I have a bad feeling about this. "Yes, Sir?"

"You've been summoned to Kamino. Warthog will fly you over," Wolffe explains.

"Yes, Sir," I reply, heart plummeting. What do they want on Kamino? It isn't time for another checkup. Something's going on. They can't possibly know, can they?

"Do not fret, Wolf Pup," General Plo says, smiling down at me. Well, I assume he's smiling. I've never actually seen his mouth before. But his cheeks scrunch up against his eye protection, and his voice sounds cheery and comforting, calming me slightly. "We will be waiting here for you."

"Thank you, Sir," I say, managing a small smile of my own. Wolffe passes me my helmet —which I left in the barracks with the others' helmets— and I have no choice but to leave and wait for Warthog in the landing bay as instructed.

It doesn't take us long to get to Kamino. Rain attacks the windshield as we pull into one of many facilities' landing bay. I sit in the copilot's seat silently, shoulders tense.

Tup died here.

Fives figured something out. Something I don't know yet. Something that could change the tide of the war.

And he figured it out here.

I get to my feet as we land. I can't hide in the ship, as much as I want to. Den Kiri will be waiting for me, assuming it was him that called me in, and not Lama Su, the Prime Minister of Kamino and overseer of the cloning facilities. I never saw much of him, but I know he didn't dislike me as much as Den Kiri and Nala Se did, even if he never fully approved of me.

"I'll be waiting here for you," Warthog says as I walk out the cabin door. I nod thanks, wishing I felt more confident. It's like being a Shiny all over again.

Peg trots after me but I stop on the ramp. "I'm not sure what this is about, buddy. You better wait here with Warthog. I don't want you getting hurt, and they might not take kindly to an animal your size."

He whines, but plops down dutifully. I bend down and give him a few chin scratches before leaving. I keep my helmet propped under my arm as I walk down the crisp white halls, past groups of clones and the occasional service droid. I assume I'm supposed to wait in Den Kiri's office or meet him there, so that's where I go. It doesn't take me long before I'm standing in front of the familiar door.