The 501st

Day 30 SK   Location: Corell System   1300 hours

Day 30 SK
   Location: Corell System
   1300 hours

I stand and fire over the rock. After taking out a couple of droids, I drop back down again and look for the others. Boost and Comet are focusing on the south side with Commander Wolffe, while General Plo, Sinker and I focus on the north side of the outpost. It's one of many on Corellia, a lightly forested planet populated by humans, Selonians, and Drall. Our mission is to climb to the top of this outpost, where we can drop down inside and take control of it, but right now we're falling behind. We —the Wolfpack, as Commander Wolffe's squadron is called–- have been assigned to this outpost, while the rest of the 104th and 488th platoons —under General Depa Billaba's command— focus on other outposts.

"Pup," General Plo's voice comes through my comm units. "You're going to be first to the top so you can use your rifle. Sinker will be right behind you."

"Are you sure, Sir?" I reply. "I have full confidence in your leading capabilities, but I'm not sure I'm best suited for the job. Sinker and Boost could—"

"I know they could, but I know that you can too, Wolf Pup. Do not underestimate yourself."

"Yes, Sir." I take a deep breath. "Are you ready, Sinker?"

"I'm right behind you."

With that, I run into open fire. For most people, this would be very alarming, and don't get me wrong— it isn't fun. Bodies of fallen droids lay around us, and the air around me is filled with noise as blaster shots go off and commands are shouted. Not exactly a comforting environment.

But I've trained for hours in these conditions, and I'm programmed to handle situations like this, no matter how old I am. Besides, unless I wanna go back to Kamino, I don't have a choice.

So, I slide past a droid, shove myself to my feet, and run. Sinker and I blast at droids on the way, although he hits more than I do. I have a sniper rifle for a reason.

The tower sits on a slanted concrete platform that sits above the ground. I turn back to Sinker before I try to climb it. He's catching up to me, firing at a nearby droid.

"Hold on, Pup. I'll give you a boost up the–- Ack!" He goes down, clutching his leg as a blaster shot hits him.

"Sinker!" I yell, reaching out to him.

"Pup, keep going!" One of the troops shouts. I still can't tell their voices apart, especially over the comms.

"In a second!" I shout back, running back to Sinker. Comet shoots the droid that got him, and I pull my helmet off to check his wound.