Chapter 34

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Dirty-Secret-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNK1HP3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EQLXERYLN49I&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700939887&s=digital-text&sprefix=nadine+alliye+%2Caps%2C83&sr=1-3

Updates twice a week, enjoy!

***

My heart thudded even louder the further we marched into the woods. A few minutes later, I could see a clearing that blazed with orange flames and heard pleasant background music. The difference between rogue and regular packs was apparent and clear as water. Rogue packs lived more like savages, there was a massive fire that homed a dozen or so wolves. They laughed, danced and drank whilst music blasted through the speakers, the chatter slowed once they caught sight of us. The dirt way led to a small cottage, I assumed that this was where the alpha stayed. On the side, some men were roasting a massive pig over a man-made barbecue. We marched past a couple, the girl flicked her long black hair to slap my leg. She was sitting on her boyfriend's lap, giggling.

"I guess we're in the business of adopting mutts now," she lifted her beer to take a chug.

The man that was leading us halted at the door of the small wooden shack and I could see that there was a massive scar that swept the side of his face right over his left eye," stay here."

He disappeared inside for a few minutes. Jeremy and I exchanged uneasy looks. It seemed like all eyes were on us. I had never known what it felt like to crash a party until today,

The man reappeared and gestured for us to come inside. Jeremy was in front of me, and I followed.

The inside of the cottage was bigger than I had expected. The room we were in doubled as the dining room and kitchen. There were stairs that disappeared towards a basement, the man I assumed to be the alpha balanced on the wooden kitchen island, he too hosted a bottle of beer.  His expression was studious, his presence was apparent in its dominant nature, I could feel his power and respect radiating inside of the room. He had the type of face that was hard to distinguish age. He could have been thirty or sixty, I could only judge from his salt and pepper braided hair and long beard that he had to be older.

"Jeremy," he suddenly said in a deep but relaxed voice.

I peeked at Jeremy who looked relieved," you remember me."

"How could I forget?" he flashed a smile that showed his perfect teeth. He was handsome, the kind of attractiveness that made you nervous to look him in the eye," you're back, and you brought a beautiful friend."

His eyes shined with something mischievous and they pointed rather than glanced directly at me. It was almost flattering to be wanted by him.

"Yes, we were hoping for a place to crash for a few nights, we're on our way to Texas but my foot needs some time to heal before we can go."

"That looks painful, what happened to your foot?"

"We were attacked by some people from The Serenity Pack."

"I take it that is who's been trying to track you down?"

"You've seen them?"

"My patrols tracked down their scents last night, they did not come into our territory but they were definitely close," Raph stood to his full height which must have been well over six feet,"looks like they are hot on your trail," something about his tone was more threatening than warningful," so you're here for a favor then?"

Jeremy's jaw stiffened," when I saved your soldiers life, you mentioned that if I needed anything at all-"

"I don't recall saying that, but that's okay. I'll help you."

I was beginning to understand that he was not as kind as I hoped he might be. Raph did not seem to want to make things easy, not even owed favors.

"I've got an empty shack just half a mile out, you can stay there for a few days, I'll have the healer stop by, check on you, give you herbs to help your wounds. We're making some food now, please help yourself to drinks too."

I was almost surprised by his sudden hospitality, but I could pick up on an undertone of something else.

"That is very generous of you, thank you-" Jeremy began, although in his face I could tell he was not so convinced.

"Under one condition."

Jeremy held his ground," which is what?"

His shiny eyes pointed at me once again," she spends the night in my bed."

There seemed to be a sudden and silent stand off between the two men. I looked at Jeremy whose jaw was clenched. I could almost hear his teeth rubbing against each other.

"That's not possible," he finally said.

"Why not? It's not like you're mates."

How did he know that we weren't mates?

"Like I said, that's not possible."

"You're not much of a team player, Jeremy. You can understand how inappropriate it is for you to come into my territory demanding favors without giving me anything in return."

"I saved your soldiers life, isn't that enough?" It looked like he was struggling to not lose his cool or shout with rage.

"I never asked you to-"

I was almost considering agreeing, but the thought of betraying Brett made me want to rip the alphas head off.

"We'll be on our way then," Jeremy began but as soon as he turned, he was blocked by the man with the face scar.

"You can't leave, you just got here. You haven't even tried the pork-"

"I see I made a mistake by bringing us here, we have to get going now," Jeremy grabbed my elbow.

"Fine, fine. You win, you can stay here, the girl is all yours."

We both glanced at the man who looked more amused than anything else.

"What's with the face? I gave you what you wanted, didn't I? Now let's get back to the party, I'm dying to eat some bacon!"

Jeremy let out a silent sigh. We exchanged looks of discomfort. By now, Jeremy and I both figured out that Raph clearly does not give out favors without wanting something in return, we just don't know what it was just yet, but I had a feeling we'd soon find out.