Chapter 33

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Dirty-Secret-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNK1HP3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EQLXERYLN49I&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700939887&s=digital-text&sprefix=nadine+alliye+%2Caps%2C83&sr=1-3

Updates twice a week, enjoy!

***

There were other things that I could have been more concerned about. Like abandoning Jeremy in a random motel room in the middle of nowhere or perhaps running into enemies on my way back to finding Brett. I got as far as a few miles out from the motel room before logic and common sense hit me. It would be irrational to go back now, it would be a borderline death wish. The sun was coming up and I had been doing circles around the forest for a few hours now. Near the edge of the closest border south towards the next state, I could have sworn I picked up on a scent of something familiar. I was far too new of a shifted wolf to distinguish scents but it was definitely someone I had run into in the past. I went back to the motel room immediately, chest thudding louding and found Jeremy wide awake on the bed.

"Your back" was the first thing he said to me.

"Why are you up?"

"I felt that you weren't in the bed, I assumed you went back for him."

I swallowed a lump in my throat," I just needed some air."

"You should have told me, I wold have come with you."

"I needed to be alone...to think."

"About him."

I resisted the urge to shake my head out of frustration," weren't you the one that said you couldn't blame me? That you understood because he's my mate-"

"He's forfeiting you, he almost let you be killed."

"But he didn't, he saved both of our lives."

"Why don't you get that you two will never be together? Were rogue wolves, our kind isnt like them-"

"You think I don't know that!?" I burst out and Jeremy looked away. Defeated, I mumbled simply," I just needed air, alone...okay?"

'Okay."

"None of this matters anyway because we have to leave now, I picked up on a scent just a few miles out by the southern border, I think they might have sent out their patrols to look for us."

"Shit," Jeremy stood up and stumbled to the other side of the room," my foot isn't healed, I-I'm not sure how long I can run on it."

"We can stop again every few towns at whatever motel we find, but for now, I don't think we should stay."

"There's a  rogue pack, just three or four hours north of here, it's further away from Texas but they've got healers that can treat us. I think they'll be willing to shelter us for a few days."

"Why are you so sure that they will help us?"

"Because I once found one of their patrols dying out in the woods, I brought him back, and saved his life, they owe me."

"Do you think it's safe?"

"I think it's worth trying. I'll rewrap my foot  before we go, hopefully it will hold up until we get there."

We began our journey once again. It seemed the further away I grew from my mate, the more I felt like a mere shadow existing  only under murky clouds. The trees weren't a beautiful green like I remembered, but a wet mossy color that I inched away from my touch. The air did not smell pleasant nor fresh, it was as if everything around me was dimming slowly and I could do nothing about it.

I wondered if it was the same for Brett.

Jeremy's limping slowed us down even more than we had expected. By the time we reached the rogue pack's territory, sundown was upon us. Jeremy halted and nodded his head at me to shift. When we were both back in our mortal forms and dressed again from the clothes we'd packed in the backpack wrapped around my ankles, he confirmed that it was clear to keep going.

"We'll walk on foot from here so we can surrender, their patrols are ruthless, they are trained to kill intruders on sight."

I did not care much. I just wanted to fast forward. To what? I wasn't so sure anymore. Perhaps sleep when I could finally be unconscious and pause the unbearable numbness.

I hoped I dreamt or perhaps had nightmares that prevent me from living in this reality, even if it was just for a moment.

After a few more moments of walking, we heard a branch breaking nearby.

"Put your hands up, and walk slowly," Jeremy commanded," to show them we come in peace."

I did as I was told. We inched forward a few more feet and then they appeared. Three massive rogues that strutted like true predators. Beaks lifted and mouths curled back to reveal wet fangs, each wolf was a different shade of red. It was almost has if they had camouflaged with the trees how suddenly they appeared.

"Stop walking," Jeremy halted and I almost ran into him," My name is Jeremy, I saved one of your men six months ago from an attack by the border, you might remember me."

The wolf in the middle released a low growl that sent wind to my hair.

"This is my friend, Clarity. We came to see your leader."

Another growl, this time deep and hungry. It did not seem like they were willing to be welcoming.

"We are being haunted by a pack, The Serenity Pack, you may know them. We don't mean to disturb you, if I could just speak to your leader, you'd see I'm telling the truth-"

The wolf in the middle has taken three massive and slow strides to finally press his beak against Jeremy's forehead. I was sure that he was going to rip his head off. My heart thudded against my chest, I watched as the spit escaped his hungry fangs and landed like puddles onto the forest grounds.

The others watched in anticipation. The wolf on the right, a female-was fixated on me. She licked her teeth and sent me a look like she'd been waiting to attack for far too long and I had finally given her the chance.

"Your leader, his name is Raph- he has braided long hair-he told me if I ever needed anything, to just come by and ask-"

At the mention of their leader, the wolf seemed taken back. He glanced back at the others and it was almost as if they had gone through an invisible conversation. The massive wolf  nodded at Jeremy then turned back and gestured for us to follow.