Chapter Eight

I talk to Tristan in school and we decide to be friends. I really could use a friend now. "So tell me about Claire," I say. "She is pretty, but she really is quite rude, to be honest I have no idea why I dated her," Tristan says. "Its okay everyone makes mistakes," I say. "Yeah so whats your big mistake," he asks. "Um I'm not really sure I have made a really big mistake yet," I say. "Come on, really?"he asks. "Yes," I say.

Tristan drives me home, I quickly say goodbye and run into my house trying not to get wet from the rain. "So are you friends with Tristan again?" Eric asks smirking. "Yes we are," I say. "I knew you guys couldn't stay apart for long," he says. "Oh stop," I say blushing. "You like him," he says. "No," I say turning even more red. "I know these things, I was your age once," he says and walks out of the kitchen.

When Sarah gets home Eric tells her about our conversation from earlier and I start blushing again. "Thanks Eric, I was looking for some daughter and dad secrets but nevermind," I say. "Oops my bad," he says smiling.

"We have to tell you something," Sarah says during dinner. "Please know that we are not trying to replace you," Eric says. "Okay so just tell me," I say. "I'm pregnant," Sarah says hesitating. "Congradulations, I am going to be a big sister," I say excited. "We were so worried that you would feel replaced," Sarah says. "No, you guys are the first foster parents that have actually cared for me," I say. I hug them and we talk about the baby. Sarah is a month along.

We invite Tristan's family to have pie and Sarah and Eric tell them the news. After we are done eating me and Tristan hang out in the basement. There are couches and recliners and tables with a huge flat screen and shelves with games. We watch a movie and talk. "So how do you feel about the baby?" Tristan asks. "Its cool, I am going to have a baby brother or sister. I really hope its a girl," I say.

I wake up on the couch and see Tristan asleep on one of the recliners. The clock says nine thirty. I get up and wake Tristan up. "Come on Tristan we are late for school," I say. I shake him hard and he sits up fast. "What," he says. "We are late for school," I say. I run upstairs and get dressed. Today all of the teacher are talking about graduation next month. I can't believe I am graduating next month.

"You're so old Gracie, you are graduating in a month," Tristan says. "Wow so are you if you are graduating as well," I say. "Oh well um..." he says. "Yeah you shouldn't have said that because it went right back in your face," I say laughing. "Okay I'm sorry, do you forgive me?" Tristan gives me this cute innocent look. "No." "Please." "No" "Please." "Not fair, but fine," I say finally giving up. "Yeah I knew you couldn't resist me," he says. "Be quiet," I say.

At home Sarah and Eric are talking to Tristan's parents. "Grace, Tristan we were just planning a day trip to a ropes course in the adirondacks," Mrs. Drake says. "Cool sounds fun," I say. We plan it for the day after graduation. I am so excited.

I hang out with Tristan at the arcade and he sees Claire. Tristan says he will be right back. Claire starts kissing him and I run to the bathroom. I cry because it hurts to see him with her when I know they broke up. I walk back out and he sees me. "I'm sorry," he says. "I like you, okay. Every day I wanted to tell you but I was so scared that it would ruin our friendship. Now I can't because you are probably back with Claire," I say.

I run to my car. Tristan catches up with me when I am at my car. "I didn't kiss her, she kissed me," he says. "Really, why should I believe you?" I ask. Tristan doesn't say anything but he kisses me and its like fireworks. He walks us backwards until I hit my car. We break for air and he says, "you have no idea how long I have wanted to do that." "Yes I do know because I have wanted that since a few days after I met you," I say.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Tristan asks one day while we are studying for finals. He wants to date me, this is exciting. "So, do you?" He asks again. "Oh sorry, yes," I say. I jump into his arms and kiss him. "One thing though," I say. "Yeah?" He asks. "We need to tell my parents," I say.

We go into the living room and call Sarah and Eric there. Tristan and I sit a few inches apart. "Sarah, Eric we have something to tell you," Tristan says. "We are dating," I say. "Okay well thats great honey,"Sarah says. I let out a sigh of relief and reach for Tristan's hand. He takes my hand and rubs it lightly.

When Tristan leaves I tell Sarah and Eric that I have a serious question for them. "Um I will not be leaving you guys and I really have gotten close to you, Sarah can I call you mom and Eric can I call you dad?" I ask. They look like they are about to cry. They nod and say yes. I hug both of them tightly. "Um I should also tell you that I got accepted into a college for their art program, its only fourty minuets away," I say. "Okay if thats what you want go for it, but will you still live here?" Eric asks. "Yes and thank you," I say.

Next week is my last week of high school. It is sad to think of that but I will still be here with mom and dad and Tristan's family. I sketch a picture of me and Tristan, I'm giving it to him for a graduation. I sketched a picture of mom, dad and myself and I gave it to them last week. I also have a sketch of Pepper and myself. Drawing is my escape when I need one.