THE AMERICAN BOY

THE AMERICAN BOY

Me and Rina are pretty similar in terms of our past issues in our own families.

With Rina, her parents ended their relationship and other more things happened, she found out about her father when she was in elementary or high school.

But for mine, it's more complicated.

I used to think that they were perfect for each other. I guess when I was a kid, it was all bubbles and sunshine, I was truly happy, but then... things went sour... and somewhat dark.

Away.

Away sila ng away.

People told me it was normal.

But was it?

Because for me, I hated it, I fucking hated it.

"Leave? You'll leave again? What about us? 'Di mo man lang ba naisip to stay? Your kids miss you!"

"I know! I fucking know! I promise, I promise I won't be as busy next week, Barbara."

Sa una, pinagaawayan nila ang oras ng pamilya na'min. Dad was always busy, and mom is always busy too, but sometimes they would end up fighting about how busy they are too.

They are both powerful people who found each other and quickly fell in love without hesitation.

Everyone told me that their love story was magical, I almost end up thinking I wish I have the same thing in the future with the person I will marry one day.

But things got worse, at nadamay ang kapatid ko do'n.

"Alexander... listen to me..."

Hinawakan niya ang kamay ko at hinalikan ang palad ko.

"...you are powerful, you will be strong, and you will show the world that you are a Cardoza, that you are my son."

My mom told me the same exact words every single day, I was young so I agreed, I didn't say anything else, I did what she wanted me to do because I love my mother.

But I didn't care. In my head, I assumed that I could do things myself and still be a Cardoza, still be strong and powerful that my mom wants me to be.

But...

"Ares, go back to your room."

...I realized that I must do it.

I must take the throne.

"Mom, Ares--"

"Alexander, don't talk when I didn't ask you to speak, alright?" ngiting sabi ni mom sa'kin.

Ares was only eleven or twelve at the time, he was still hugging his pink-colored teddy bear.

He was young, he didn't deserve to be rejected because of what he is.

It was all because of our family members, his classmates, and others who found him 'odd' for liking feminine things even though he is not gay at all.

Nababaliw ako.

'Di ko inaakalang gagawin din ng sarili na'ming nanay yo'n kay Ares.

I asked myself if it was right to dislike my mother in ways, I love my brother so much, I didn't want him to suffer from such things especially from our own family.