ᴠ. ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪᴇʟᴅ ᴛʀɪᴘ

Start from the beginning

The first time her father broke her heart. Italy, 1112. 

"Uncle Kol? Please?" Anthea begs, giving him puppy eyes. 

Kol inhales sharply, trying to resist his niece, but he knows he won't be able to. He also knows that Niklaus will be furious if he finds out that he let Anthea go. "I can't. Your father would put me back in a coffin. He wouldn't do that to you. I will be the one paying the price."

"But Theo is expecting me! Please, Uncle Koala Bear." Anthea pouts, faking sadness to make him feel guilty. As Aunt Rebekah says, it usually works best on any of the Originals except for Niklaus. Especially on Kol since Anthea's his favorite person. 

Kol pours bourbon in a glass and drinks it up in one sip. He exhales. "Fine." 

Anthea's face brightens up. Kol finds himself unable to contain his slight smile. "Yes, thank you, Uncle Koala Bear. I promise to be quick. Just distract my father for a while, okay?" 

Kol nods slightly. "Then hurry. No one can distract Niklaus for very long, except you, perhaps." He teases. 

Anthea grins softly before speeding out of the house. 

To his own surprise, and his siblings' surprise, Kol manages to occupy Niklaus for dinner. After discreetly lying about Anthea feeling ill and resting, Niklaus lets the matter go and joins his siblings and Sage for dinner. He seems too busy noticing how happy Sage makes Finn so he doesn't even think about how nervous Rebekah looks as she knows where her niece is. 

Later that night, Kol sits up and waits for Anthea. He drinks from one of the maids as her weakened body lies on his lap. 

Suddenly, Niklaus storms in with clenches jaw. 

"What is the problem, brother?" Kol questions with a smirk, raising his eyebrows. 

Niklaus narrows his eyes angrily. "Don't play fool with me, Kol. Unless you wish to go back into a coffin with a dagger in your heart." 

"What is wrong?" Kol's face turns serious. 

Niklaus lets out an aggressive growl. "You told me Anthea was resting in bed. But yet, her bed has been untouched since this morning. The maids cleaned her bed this morning and it hasn't been touched. So this leads us back to you lying to my face. Speak up now." He demands. 

Kol inhales. "I don't know where she is. Maybe she is with Elijah somewhere. You know how they both fancy reading sessions together." He taunts, knowing how much it irritates his brother that Anthea spends much time with Elijah. 

Niklaus' glare hardens. Although he tries to hide it, he feels insecure that Anthea might prefer Elijah over him. Sometimes he thinks she might prefer having Elijah as her father instead of him. He quickly rids off the thought, focusing on Kol. "Stop deceiving, Kol. Where. Is. She?" 

Kol sighs in defeat. "She went to meet with that boy. Theo, I think it was. Rebekah knows where they are. Anthea confined in her." He informs, not wanting to be daggered and he knows that the only punishment that Anthea will suffer is losing her lover. And it beats seeing his niece daggered. 

Heartbreak Anthea can get over, but a dagger to the heart might be harder for her to get over. Niklaus eyes him before storming off. 

Rebekah, Elijah, and Finn are bidding Sage farewell as she's about to leave their residence to make her way home to her mother. 

Niklaus storms inside the room angrily. "Rebekah." He grits out between his teeth. 

Finn frowns slightly, glancing between his red-haired lover and his outraged brother. He's aware of his brother's reason for anger and doesn't want to force Sage to witness. "Um...how about I accompany you home, love?" He questions quietly, then adding, "and stay the night."