⁰⁰²

We arrived home and I quickly got out the car, waited for Mike to get out and then locked the car before going up to the front door, stopping when I saw the red letter on our door.

"Mike, look at this" I said, passing him the letter.

"It's fine, we'll get a job and we'll hopefully be able to pay it off" he reassured me before opening the front door to see Abby's babysitter Max laying on the couch watching TV.

"Hey, Max. Thanks for babysitting" Mike said as I took my coat off and hung it up, taking my shoes off after doing so.

"Hi Max, how was she?" I asked and she smiled at me.

"She was fine, she mainly stayed in her room drawing like she normally does" I nodded before going to the kitchen to grab a drink.

"There's Stouffer's, should still be warm if you're hungry" Max told me so I grabbed it from the oven before serving myself some.

"Did Abby eat?" Mike asked and Max looked over at him.

"What do you think?" Mike sighed and went to get his sister so she'd come and eat.

"Same time tomorrow Grace?" Max asked as she got off the couch, getting ready to leave.

"Yes please, here's $10, I know it's not much but as soon as we get some more money, we'll pay you more" I said but Max shook her head and smiled, not taking the money.

"Keep the money Grace, I love getting to watch Abby, she's a sweet girl" Max said before leaving to go home after saying goodbye.

"At least I'm real" I heard Mike say before coming out to the hallway, standing just next to the kitchen.

"What happened?" I asked after finishing my mouthful of food.

"She doesn't want to come eat, she'd rather be in her room drawing and talking to her imaginary friends and it's frustrating" Mike said, standing where he was.

"Hey, just come eat and after I'll bring her some food and talk to her, okay?" I said to Mike but he didn't move.

"I just want her to come eat, I don't see how it can be hard for her to put the crayon down and-"

"Mike, sit down and eat, I'll go speak to her if it bothers you that much" I said as I stood up, taking some of the dinner with me for Abby.

"I'm sorry Grace, I'm just worried about her getting taken from me" Mike said but I didn't reply, I just went to Abby's room.

"Hey Abby, can I come in?" I asked and I heard her reply so I came in, smiling at the girl as she continued to colour.

"I told Mike I wasn't hungry" Abby said, noticing the plate of food in my hand.

"Well, I thought I'd bring it to you in case you did get hungry later on, that way you can stay here and draw while you eat" I said and Abby smiled.

"Thank you Grace" she replied as I placed the plate down with a fork for her.

"Your welcome sweetheart, even if you have one bite I'll be happy, I'll be with Mike in the kitchen or living room if you need me" I said before leaving the 10-year old to do what she wants.

"Did she tell you no as well?" Mike asked, looking up from his food.

"No, I left her the food and said if she gets hungry, it's there for her" I replied and Mike sighed.

"I don't get how you're so good with her, she doesn't even pay attention to me half of the time" Mike rubbed a hand over his face before looking at me.

"She does Mike, she just needs her own space" I said before taking our plates to the sink, starting to wash them up.