twenty.

Warnings: Strong language.

***

Alex.

Three weeks later.

Alex made a mental checklist in her head as she threw her belongings into her purse. After spending the last couple of weeks searching for a job, Alex had decided to take Scott's old job of helping Deaton out at the animal clinic. It was her last attempt to find something to distract her from missing Derek. Over the last three weeks, she'd hardly heard from him. But, she had to trust that he was okay. That he was safe.

Just as she was pulling out her jacket, she heard a commotion and yelling from down the hall.

"What the hell?" Alex muttered to herself.

She opened the door and peered out into the hall just in time to see Isaac fly into the wall before collapsing in a heap on the floor.

"What the fuck is going on?" Alex exclaimed, racing over to him. "What happened?"

"It's okay, I told him to." Isaac said, pushing himself to his feet.

"You told Scott to send you flying? Why?" Alex furrowed her brows in confusion.

"It's a long story." Isaac shook his head as Scott suddenly appeared in the doorway.

"What the hell is happening to you two?" Alex said, looking between the two teens.

"He deserved it." Scott said before stomping past them and marching down the hall.

Isaac rolled his eyes and turned to walk back into the bedroom he shared with Scott, but Alex held a hand against his chest, stopping him.

"Hold up. What's going on?"

"I told you, it's a long story."

"So make it short." Alex ordered. "Why are you and Scott suddenly attacking each other?"

Isaac sighed and looked down at her. "I like Allison."

"You like Allison?" Alex repeated.

Isaac nodded his head. "There was a moment, when we were looking for the parents, where I wanted to kiss her."

"And did you?" Alex raised a brow.

"No. I didn't. I couldn't do it. Because of Scott."

"So he's mad at you because you like Allison?"

"Yes. It's not like I planned to fall for her. I couldn't help it." Isaac said desperately.

"Hey, I get it." Alex shook her head. "Trust me, I understand unexpected love more than anyone."

"Difference is, Derek isn't your friend's ex." Isaac sighed.

"I know. Just give him time." Alex said sympathetically. "He's been through a lot recently. We all have. Just be patient."

Isaac nodded. "Thanks. How about you? How are you doing?"

"I'm okay." Alex shrugged. "I just need to get out there and find some kind of purpose."

"At least you're working with someone you know and trust." Isaac said.

"True. And at least I don't have to hide who I am around Deaton." Alex nodded.

"Have you heard from Derek recently?" 

Alex shook her head. "Not for a while. I sent him a text last week to say I was working at the animal clinic, but I haven't heard back yet."

"Maybe he's just busy." Isaac shrugged.

Alex hummed in agreement. She didn't want to say out loud that she was worried Derek had moved on. Or worse, that he was in trouble. She trusted him, but her old habits of self-preservation and protection were slowly climbing to the surface.