nine.

Warnings: Strong language, mentions of blood.

***

Alex.

Alex looked up at the clock on the wall. It had been just seven hours since Derek had sacrificed his life for her. She couldn't get the image of his lifeless body out of her head. Every time she closed her eyes, she saw his face. Derek Hale was dead because of her.  Not only that, but Scott had lost a friend. Despite what Alex thought of Derek, she couldn't deny that he'd been a big support to Scott. A tear slid down her cheek.

"Alex?" Scott's voice pulled her from her thoughts.

She looked up sharply, wiping her eyes.

"Hey, you okay?" Alex asked.

Scott sat down at the table opposite her. As he lowered himself into the chair, he winced. It was then Alex realised that he was hurt.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just a scratch." Scott dismissed her.

"Why hasn't it healed?" Alex furrowed her brows.

"I don't know." Scott sighed. "Are you okay?"

"I don't know." Alex shook her head.

"What happened?" Scott whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean, Al. What happened to Derek?"

Alex swallowed hard as another tear escaped. She took a deep breath before looking up at her brother.

"He saved my life." Alex whispered. "Ennis attacked, and Derek pushed me out the way before Ennis reached us. Ennis pulled him over the ledge."

Scott nodded his head in understanding.

"I just sat there and watched him fall." Alex whispered again. "I couldn't do anything to help him."

"Hey." Scott said softly. He placed a hand over hers. "It's not your fault."

"Isn't it?" Alex scoffed.

"No. It's mine, Alex. I'm the one who arranged that stupid meeting in the first place." Scott argued.

"You were just trying to do the right thing, Scott. Don't blame yourself either." Alex sighed, gripping his hand tightly.

The two of them sat in silence for a few minutes, taking in the comfort the other provided. Alex didn't know what else to say. What could she say about a man she'd spent so long supposedly hating, to a man who respected and admired him?

"I'm sorry, Scott." Alex finally said.

"For what?" Scott furrowed his brows.

"I know Derek was important to you." Alex shrugged. "And I also know you were important to him."

"You must have been pretty important for him to save your life like that." Scott smiled sadly.

"He did that for you, not me." Alex shook her head.

"I don't believe that." Scott said.

Again, Alex didn't know what to say. They fell into silence again. Until Scott looked up at the clock and sighed.

"Shit, I gotta go."

Alex nodded and released his hand.

"You sure you're gonna be okay?" Scott asked as he stood up.

Alex nodded. "Go, I'll be fine. Don't miss the bus, or Coach will have your ass on the bench for the rest of the season."

Scott chuckled and hugged Alex before running out the door. When Alex heard the slam of the front door, she pulled out her phone and searched for a particular number. She held it to her ear while she waited.