twelve.

Warnings: Strong language, violence, character death.

***

Derek.

They were here. The alphas were on their way, and Derek knew it. He took a deep breath before stepping down into the water, knowing it was harmless now. Behind him, Alex squeaked and gripped his arm. Derek looked over his shoulder at her.

"Hide." Derek said firmly.

Alex didn't move. It was almost like she was frozen in fear.

"Alex, go." Derek ordered.

But it was pointless. The door was forced open, and Kali entered the loft.

"That won't be necessary, Alex." Kali sneered. "You know, Derek, when Ennis died, I wanted to hunt you down and kill you wherever you stood."

"Is that so?" Derek growled.

"Mm." Kali hummed. "But then I remembered something. I remember that you like to surround yourself with teenagers. Hide behind them. And I thought to myself, what would it take to get Derek Hale alone?"

"Try asking nicely?" Derek said sarcastically.

"Well, I was left with two choices. Kidnap Alex, or kidnap Ms. Blake. But it seems that Alex has always been with you lately, so I chose option B." Kali smirked. "Does your girlfriend know just how much time you spend with the woman you claim to hate?"

Aiden and Ethan appeared, holding Jennifer. Derek's eyes widened, and his heart jumped at the sight of her struggling against the twins. Behind him, Alex gasped.

"Derek?" Jennifer whimpered. "What's going on?"

"Here's what's going to happen, Derek." Kali said, her voice dominating the room. "This fight will be between you and I. No one else. Any interference from your little friends and my friends here will rip your girlfriend apart."

"I'm gonna rip your throat out." Derek growled. "With my teeth."

"Make a choice, Derek." Kali said. "Or I kill one of your friends now. Maybe I should start with little miss brunette hiding behind you over there."

Derek glared at the woman with all the hate he could muster.

"Alex, Isaac, Boyd." Derek said, his voice low and serious. "Get out."

"We're not leaving you, Derek." Alex argued.

"Get. Out." Derek growled.

Alex walked past him. She looked up at him as his face came into view, but Derek avoided her gaze. She walked over to Boyd and Isaac. The three of them looked over at him, all with helpless looks in their eyes. But Derek kept his eyes on Kali.

"Stay right there." Kali grinned, holding up a hand. "I want you to see the moment your precious alpha loses."

"That wasn't the deal." Derek shook his head.

"No. I said they couldn't get involved. I didn't say they had to leave." Kali smirked.

Derek growled again, and with a loud roar, he shifted.

***

Alex.

Her heart was beating so fast that she wondered how it hadn't given out yet. Alex wanted to help Derek, but she didn't know how without putting Jennifer at risk. Just because she didn't trust her didn't mean Derek would ever forgive Alex if she was the reason Jennifer was killed. Instead, while Kali was distracted, fighting against Derek, Alex slid her phone out of her pocket, hid behind Isaac, and sent Cora a text.