30: Kei Tsukishima - Confessions

Start from the beginning

These were all thoughts I voiced in a very messy way to Rio once break came around. I rested my forehead on the desk and mumbled against the wood but she was able to decipher my words. The way he spoke hurt just as much as the rejection, as his tone made it sound as though rejection was inevitable and that I was crazy for asking. "Am I over-exaggerating?" I mumbled against the desk and Rio sighed.

"No I don't think so. It's natural to hurt after being turned down... to be honest (y/n) I never expected you to have the balls to ask him out anyway," she said and I looked up at her, raising an eyebrow. "Sorry, that's not helping. Look, it's gonna hurt, rejection always does. But remember life does go on and when you get over this feeling you'll realise that," she said and I smiled, loving her ability to give good advice.

"You really think?" I asked.

"I don't think, I know. I'll help you get over him too. Some people heal differently to others, so we just need to find a way that'll heal you the quickest, then you can go back to being weird goofy friends with him and Yamaguchi," she said and I let out a dry chuckle.

"But how, how am I supposed to get over these feelings?" I asked, unsure what the first step would be.

"It's too soon to do anything drastic. Right now it's just gonna take a bit of time," she said sadly and I sighed dramatically, hiding my head back on my desk and regretting saying anything to begin with.

- Timeskip -

A week had passed and I had skilfully evaded Kei's presence. At first he didn't seem to be seeking me out, but yesterday I heard Tadashi asking around after me, claiming that Kei had asked him to find me. Now I had to be on the lookout for both of them but thankfully due to their height they were easy to spot so I was able to dart the other way whenever I saw one of them coming.

My feelings for Kei were still there, after all it had only been a week. There was little chance that my feelings were going to disappear within that time no matter how much I wanted them to. "What do I do, seriously Rio?" I shook the shoulders of my best friend, hoping an idea would spring to her mind.

"Well... I've been sitting on an idea but I thought it might've been too soon," she said with slight uncertainty and my mouth dropped open.

"What? What is it?!" I pleaded.

"Okay, I have this friend... who wants me to set him up on a date with a girl," she said and it didn't take long for me to realise what she was getting at.

"Whoa... seriously? You want to set me up on a blind date?" I asked.

"It's just a suggestion. It might be the rebound you need just to at least get over Tsukishima," she explained as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Can you give me some time to think about it?" I asked and she nodded. Arm in arm we left the classroom, the school day having come to an end but as soon as we stepped foot in the hallway we were face to face with the person I didn't want to be. "Kei!" I exclaimed upon seeing him.

"Where have you been?" He asked plainly and my mouth went dry as I glanced at Rio.

"Just- just around," I shrugged nonchalantly.

"You've been ignoring me," he said and I was surprised he noticed; he was never one for socialising after all. "Is it because of last week?"

"Look, I- I can't do this right now," I ducked under his arm and walked speedily down the corridor out of sight, and not stopping until I was out of the school gate. I hunched over and began panting, not realising how quickly I was moving my body until I tried desperately to catch my breath again.