19: Toru Oikawa - The Perfect Man

Warning! Kageyama is very out of character in this oneshot. I actually found it a little difficult to write because of this factor...

Requested byBella250202

 I sat alone in a bar, staring into the dregs of my drink, the tears having dried up. I had sacrificed so much for him - my home, my own volleyball career and I had even travelled around the world for him but now I was home, back in Japan as my boyfriend of four years, Tobio Kageyama, had been scouted by the Japanese team. I had followed him back home and supported him all the way, but we'd been back in Japan for a few months and I felt as though I didn't even know him. He had shouted at me multiple times due to the immense stress and pressure the main team required from him on top of the fact he had also joined Shcweiden Adlers.

I had had enough. He was always short tempered and stubborn but this was something else, something new and it scared me. I doubted he'd ever get physical, but his verbal abuse scared me just as much, so a mere few hours ago I ended our relationship. What hurt even more was that he showed next to no emotion, despite us being together for five years.

"Another whiskey," I mumbled to the barman when he was in range. It was obvious he knew something was wrong with me so he silently got my drink ready and I watched him out the corner of my eye, but was surprised when he suddenly froze in place.

"Sake please," a silky smooth voice said, sitting on the bar stool next to me. I glanced up to see a rather handsome man with chestnut brown hair that swooshed naturally across his head. He had a handsome, symmetrical face with eyes that matched his hair colour. Due to his athletic build it was clear he did some sort of sports. "Hi... you okay?" He asked and it took me a moment to realise he was talking to me.

"Fine," I muttered.

"Why do I think you're not telling the truth?" He asked teasingly, making himself comfortable next to me. The barman placed my drink down in front of me but before I could pull my purse out, the man placed money on the counter. "Let me get that. You don't wanna be wasting your money away on drinks just to cope with whatever emotional damage you're going through."

"How do you know-,"

"I can read people pretty well," he said and I properly took a moment to look at him. He looked somewhat familiar... "Do you fancy some company?"

I stared at him to see if he had any ulterior motive. He may have been good at reading people, but I was too. After studying him for a moment I decided that his company may help distract me from the troubles in my life. "Sure."

He sat down with a satisfied smile and I expected him to immediately ask what was wrong with me and play at being a therapist, but instead after exchanging our names he asked "what do you do for a living?"

"Oh- we'll I'm a florist," I said. Other than volleyball a passion of mine was flowers, and creating beautiful bouquets that make people happy.

"Really? That's so cool, so you make your own bouquets?" He asked and I was surprised by his intrigue. Even Tobio didn't pay any interest in my career.

"Yeah, I find that flowers make people smile," I said. "My mother gardened a lot when she was alive, it was her calling. I remember seeing her smile every time a new flower bloomed... so every time I make a bouquet it feels as though I'm making them for her- sorry you don't want to hear a sob story," I chuckled awkwardly, taking a sip of my drink.

"No, I think that's amazing. You're doing exactly what would make your mother smile. I think that's very admirable," he said and a warm feeling entered my heart. His comforting words somehow made him more handsome. It was obvious he had a way with charming people but it was making me feel better so I played along, the two of us chatting away. We found out that we liked the same anime, the same books, we had the same sense of humour and seemed to connect like puzzle pieces. I even ended up smiling a good couple of times which was something I never expected to happen a few hours ago.