Chapter 37: Asta Vs Langris

Asta and Langris were sooner than later freed from Julius' spell and informed that their fight would begin soon. First thing Asta did was apologize to their companions.

"I am sorry I dragged you into this" He apologized. Mimosa was quick to dismiss it. 'Xerx' didn't care. But it was Télos who called him.

"Asta. You have ten minutes before your match, come with me" He ordered. Asta gulped and followed his sibling. Once they were at a safe distance, Télos looked at him. "It's the second time today I have to tell you to calm down. What the hell is going on with you?"

"With me? That guy almost killed Finral! Why are you so non-chalant about it?! Do you even care?!"

"I care" Was Télos response.

"Then how?"

"Do you even know what we're doing Asta? This is not a tournament, not a spar. We are selecting the best of the best to go to war. A war that is almost here, a war that will kill people. People are going to die, Asta. Maybe people closer to you than Finral. You need to put that in your head because if you let your feelings get the best of you, you're done" Télos explained. "It isn't about not caring, it's about making sure you don't cause the death of hundreds trying to avenge one"

"What do you know of wars?" Asta asked. Télos froze, his mind racing.

"You would be surprised" He replied mysteriously. "What's important is that I know more than you do, when have I been wrong?" Asta groaned. Télos was right. "Will you do me a favor?"

"Fine, I'll behave"

"No. Destroy that motherfucker" Télos told him with a smirk. Asta grinned and fist bumped him. The two walked back to the fighting ground, where everything was already set up. Asta went back to his team and Télos flew back to his place by Julius' side.

"I know of your past, but it'd be fine if you didn't help Asta that much. A Vice-Captain shouldn't show favoritism in any way" Julius warned, making Télos roll his eyes.

"Asta needs to learn a few things before the raid" Télos said. "He needs to know that this isn't training, that this is serious"

"You make it sound as if that peasant already passed" Augustus laughed. Télos eyed him, unsure of what was so funny.

"He has" He announced. Both kings looked at him. "What? You were thinking of leaving the only person in this kingdom capable of nullifying magic out of the most important mission in recent history?"

"We are yet to determine if he's fit for it" The king babbled.

"I have determined him fit, so has Mereoleona. The decision was made even before the exam" Télos informed. "It's our team, we decide who's having our backs"

"That's preposterous! I am King! I will..."

"You will choose the Royal Knights if you join the raid. If you stay at your castle eating grapes or whatever you do there, you have no voice in this decision" Télos insisted. "I am the one risking my life for this kingdom. I am the one choosing who I have by my side" King Augustus was ready to keep arguing, but Julius interrupted the fight, as the next combat was about to begin. Asta's team against Langris.

The Vice-Captain of the Golden Dawn left his comrades behind and went straight for the opposite team's crystal. Asta's team advanced as an unit, with Mimosa carrying the crystal with her magic and Asta stopping Langris attacks with his sword. It wasn't going good for Asta's team, as Langris attacks began being too fast for Asta to stop them. leaving holes in both the crystal and Asta's body. Asta realised that he would have to use his Black form to match Langris' speed, but to activate it he would need time, and Langris wasn't giving him a break. For that, 'Xerx' decided to get to the front and shield his team as Asta got ready. Langris threw another attack. 'Xerx' set up a magic circle to stop the attack, but it was too powerful and went through the circle, hitting 'Xerx' full force. The crowd stared in horror and got ready to witness the horrifying scene.