[PREVIEW] Chapter One

I'm careful to keep a distance from the Giants. My sneakers scuff along the pavement as I walk after the four of them, keeping a tight grip on my cell phone. I film them laughing, joking, getting up in each other's physical space. The boys are so confident with each other. So comfortable. I know they've seen each other naked—is it that? Or is it just a regular guy thing that I don't have the pleasure of experiencing myself?

We turn left down the street to Poppy's Diner. It's a 1950s-style joint. Bright red and white, old school booths with cracks in the leather. They come here every week after the football game, whether they win or lose. It doesn't look like the sort of place guys like this would be into, but they seem to love it. Or maybe that's just Coach Masters' doing? I wouldn't put it past that old guy to insist on one place, be damned what everyone else wants. All I ever hear are bad things about him, but the boys respect him regardless. They'll listen to anything he says.

One of the guys tilts his head back to me over his letterman jacket, making sure I'm still following. That's Des. He's my best friend. While he made a name for himself as a football star, I got into writing. For some reason, he didn't even think about abandoning me for the cooler crowd. Even with my low status, he still wants to talk to me. You can't find a better guy than Des.

This month, I'm writing a piece on the Giants. I have to follow them. Record them. Learn everything I can about the beasts in their natural environment. So far, I think I have a lot of information. With Des secretly helping me, this is shaping up to be something good. Something real memorable.

Des drops behind and holds the glass door open for me. Old timey music pours out of the restaurant. I duck under his huge bicep, shooting him a quick smile as I slip into the booth nearby. It looks like it's going to be a good spot; I can watch them closely from here. He gives me the brightest smile in return before rejoining his other friends. He's such a handsome guy.

I prop my phone up with the hook ring on the back and film them, jotting down everything I see and hear on a real deal notepad. Michael's here today: he's black, like Des, but with a high-top and fade. He looks like someone out of a 90s cartoon. He has this sneaky little smile as he sits next to Jason and pulls on his ear. Jason is white with chestnut brown hair. His pearly whites are on full display as he enjoys Michael's attention. They seem to jokingly flirt with each other a lot, but it wouldn't surprise me if something more was going on there. There's a heavy tension in all of their interactions.

Flynn sits by the window, his gaze glued to his cellphone. I can't tell his ethnicity, but his skin is on the olive side, and he has dark hair. His full brows are fixed in a knitted position as he stares at his phone, furiously texting back and forth. My guess is it's his girlfriend or something. Are they in a fight? Is there juicy drama I should know about? I'm meeting Des at the party he's throwing tonight. I'll have to follow up on the Flynn situation then.

Still, with everything going on, I can't help but draw my attention back to my best friend. His deep umber skin, dark shining eyes. Beautiful bright smile as he orders his cheat meal: a double cheeseburger with caramelized onions, fries, and a large chocolate thickshake. He likes to dip his fries into the shake. I thought it was a weird idea at first, but after trying it, I'm sold. Salty + creamy is an orgasmic combination. I catch Des' eye and he winks at me, making me laugh and look down at my menu, as if I don't know what I'm going to order. I do. Hint: it's the same thing as him.

It feels so good to get his attention like this in front of everyone. A lot of people will ignore you in front of their other friends, act like you don't exist. But not Des. He's never been ashamed to be my friend, no matter how awkward people say I am. One time, I got a new pair of round glasses. A girl called me a nerd in front of everyone. Des jumped in to say he thought I looked stylish and sexy. I'm still riding that compliment. Even if he didn't mean it, to say it out loud in front of everyone takes balls.

He's never gotten a big head about his popularity. To me, he's still that cute little teddy bear I had sleepovers with. Just...bigger. Stronger. Sexier. I guess at 6'5" with a perfect v-shaped body and sparkling personality, he doesn't need to give a fuck what people think. He's truly himself, and I admire the hell out of him for it.

Lately, I wonder if I've been admiring him a little too much. So much I'm dipping into a different territory than I'm used to. That's nothing I've felt before, or thought I'd feel, but Des...he just has this charming, magical quality about him.

Last night, I was putting up photos of the Giants on my bedroom wall. Really immersing myself into my project, I guess. They were a cool looking team, but Des shined brighter than all of them. Somehow, his face ended up lower on the wall, close to mine when I'm sleeping. When I was jerking off, I happened to look to the side and came face-to-face with him. Big shoulders, strong arms, sharp eyes. Confidence oozing from him. I've never cum harder. Is that weird? I just admire him a bunch. I guess I'm starting to wonder...do I want to be like him? Or do I want to be with him?

In the distance, I see the server gathering up trays to bring to the table. I shoot up from my chair and head over to her, struck with a brilliant idea.

"Excuse me?" I say as I stop behind her. She looks back at me.

"What can I help you with?"

"I was just wondering if I could deliver that food. Well, that tray," I say, pointing to the one with the chocolate thick shake on it. "It's my friend's. I want to say hello, and it would be funny."

She looks unsure, but like she doesn't have the time to deal with my nonsense. She nods, bringing the rest of the trays over to the table. I grasp the red plastic edges of Des' tray and wait for my turn. I want maximum impact. She glances at me as she leaves behind the counter. I step over to the table, placing it down in front of my best friend.

"Double cheeseburger with caramelized onions and a chocolate thickshake?"

"That's mine—" Des pauses when he sees me, then breaks into a warm grin. I laugh, and he wraps his arm around me, pulling me close. "Hey, Eli." I wrap my shaking arms around him. I'm not used to pranks. "Hey, you." I pull back, but in a second, my arm hits the edge of the thick shake glass, and it tips over, pouring all over the table. Chocolate shake trickles down Des' leg, a few drops splattering onto mine too. "Oh shit! Oh my god."

Jason roars with laughter. Michael's next. I'm frozen, my heart pounding as I stare at Des, waiting for his reaction.

"Fuck," he says, mopping himself up with napkins.

I click into gear and grab more napkins to clean him up too, wiping the creamy liquid over his legs. "I'm so sorry, Des. I'm so sorry."

"Make it up to me later, huh?"

"Yeah. Yes. You know I will," I say.

I hear a deep sigh behind me. The waitress. I move out of the way so she can clean up the table, and I scoot closer to Des. He tilts his head back to look at me, his lush mouth so close to mine. His breath so sweet. He slides his finger up my bare leg, scooping up the drops that splattered onto me, before sucking the creamy liquid off his finger. I stare at his mouth, entranced.

"You just wanted a taste of my chocolate thick shake," he says.

I laugh, feeling relief wash over me that he's in a joking mood again. I lean over and whisper in his ear. "I'll make it up to you. I'll do anything you want, Des. Anything."

"I'll hold you to that."

[FREE on KU] Ganged by the Giants: The Football Team + The Coach by Blue Pierce

amazon.com/dp/B0BKTGNNLK