11. Friends Then

Hardin Alexander

I checked my watch, I'm 5 minutes late. Contemplating on whether to go in or not, I rake my fingers through my hair keeping them there for about a minute.

What am I doing here?
I shouldn't be here. shouldnt had agreed. Shoulda avoided her the whole time.

These days, I dont even know how I'm feeling. I keep getting feelings I shouldn't get. Didn't want to come but I ended up here anyway, right where she wanted me, staring at the towered building.

When I told her I had sign the land documents, wanted her to give up. Wanted her disappointed. her strong headedness ...

Hanging around with Jayson or James was enough for her. Why do I feel like she has ulterior motives ? What's she planning in that tiny head of hers.

I swiped my palm on my face, trying to ward off the flooding thoughts.

When she told me I wasn't her class, I'd wanted to show her what I was capable of, but I knew from the moment I saw my mom beam at her and look at her that way, that it would hurt her if she finds out.

But I still feel that excitement towards her. That jolt, whenever I see her, those feelings flood me. I feel weird when shes with another man.

I don't have a problem having a fling, but just not her. Not the same kinda person.

That event, I saw her flirt with Jayson. I thought it was normal for me to feel what i felt. But what fault was he. Since that incident I'd learn to keep things surrounding me away from him. But he keeps finding and taking. I know ladies had always been around him. Aliza did too. I was the reserved one, not able to even hold a proper conversation.

I'd seen her walk out of parking lot with him, smiling, just after I'd ask her out for lunch. A lunch that would've happened at that same place...I knew how much it hurt my ego to see that. So I knew this has to stop. Her being around me, me being around her.

I'd wanted to show her, I wasn't about her, and that I could get anyone I want. So I called Jenny and let her meet me up. They were laughing and chatting away. She was comfortable with him. It was different whenever she was around me. Her walls were always high up and strong.

I knew from there that I wanted this welding feelings flooding me to stop. I wasn't ready to accept them. To let them wax out. With this kinda person... Someone similar to her. Someone who could easily hurt me...

I knew I had to end this. But here I am. I have to try to get along with her anyway, Maybe even friends. she's like family now. Had to sit on the same table with her once in a while, I might as well try to be on greeting terms with her. For the sake of my mother. This is for her.

I stood in front of the opened door of my car, the cold wind brush my skin.

Shit! I was 15 minutes late now. I rushed in. She sat there,legs crossed. She had a flute of champaign in her hand, sipping on it gradually. Her attention was on her iPad which she has planted infront of her.

She must be very busy if she's still working even on a dinner 'date'. My eyes lingered to the drapey material she has on. The material was off her shoulders exposing her fair caramel skin, while her hair was combed to one side of the shoulders, exposing her back. Couldn't see the rest of it, since she'd sat.

Great!

She really dressed for the occasion. Half of the men in the room had their attention on her. How does she do that... Play oblivion?

She checked her watch and furrowed her brow before looking around. When she spotted me, a smile spread across her face. She waved at me.

"Some jeans and blouse would have been ok. This wasn't even a date." I said as soon as I sat, intentionally trying to pick a fight with her. She rolled her eyes.