She eagerly took notes as the Transfiguration teacher explained how a witch or wizard became an Animagi(wizards who could transform at will into animals).

It was a long and arduous process, she advised the class, though no one except Estella and most definitely Hermione was paying much attention.

Then, suddenly, Professor McGonagall transformed herself right in front of their eyes into a tabby cat with spectacle markings around her eyes.

Estella's mouth fell open into a wide grin and she exclaimed, "Cool Miss!"

Professor McGonagall - still in her cat form - tilted her head and turned back with a faint pop, staring around at them all.

"Really, what has got into you all today?" she said. "Not that it matters, but that's the first time my transformation's not got applause from a class."

Everybody's heads turned towards Harry again, but nobody spoke. Then Hermione raised her hand.

"Please, Professor, we've just had our first Divination class, and we were reading the tea leaves, and-"

"Ah, of course," said Professor McGonagall, suddenly frowning. There is no need to say any more, Miss Granger. Tell me, which of you will be dying this year?"

Everyone stared at her.

"Me," said Harry, finally.

"I see," said Professor McGonagall, fixing Harry with her beady eyes. "Then you should know, Potter, that Sybill Trelawney has predicted the death of one student a year since she arrived at this school. None of them has died yet. Seeing death omens is her favourite way of greeting a new class."

Estella smiled in satisfaction and nudged Charlotte. "Told ya," she said in a quiet whisper. Charlotte let out a sigh of relief.

"If it were not for the fact that I never speak ill of my colleagues-" Professor McGonagall broke off, and they saw that her nostrils had gone white. She went on, more calmly, "Divination is one of the most imprecise branches of magic. I shall not conceal from you that I have very little patience with it. True Seers are very rare, and Professor Trelawney..."

She stopped again, and then said in a very matter-of-fact tone, "You look in excellent health to me, Potter, so you will excuse me if I don't let you off homework today. I assure you that if you die, you need not hand it in."

Estella laughed and she heard the echo of Hermione's behind her.

Charlotte seemed to have calmed down and was smiling at Professor McGonagall.

Not everyone was convinced, however. Ron still looked worried and Lavender whispered, "But what about Neville's cup?"

When the Transfiguration class had finished, they joined the crowd thundering towards the Great Hall for lunch.

"So, how was Divination?" Amelia asked as Estella and Charlotte sat down.

Estella spooned stew into her bowl and picked up her spoon. "Eventful," she said, starting to eat.

Charlotte tucked her hair behind her ears and explained. "We were reading tea leaves and Professor Trelawney saw the Grim in Harry's cup."

Lucille's fork clattered onto the table. "What?" she said, as if hoping for confirmation that she had heard incorrectly.

"But that's not- it can't be-" Hazel started, alarmed. 

"What's the Grim?" Amelia asked, frowning. 

"It takes the form of a dog," Lucille said, lowering her voice. "It's the worst omen of death."

"Sure," Larissa said, sarcasm lacing her words.