15| Pretty Obvious

A week later, Estella was walking across the Entrance Hall with her friends when they spotted a small group of students crowded around the notice board, reading a small piece of parchment which had just been pinned up

"What's that?" Charlotte voiced as they edged nearer.

The crowd parted as people left, conversing with their friends, having already read the announcement.

Estella made her way to the front of the group and scanned the parchment.

"They're starting a duelling club," she told the others, turning back towards them as they too walked away from the group towards the Great Hall for lunch.

"Oh wow," Hazel breathed. "That sounds fun!"

Amelia nodded eagerly. "It'll be cool to learn some defensive spells. Who knows, we might need it in the future."

That's true, Estella thought concertedly. And it'll also be useful for classes. I can have a head start. If I can prove myself here... If I start now...

"When do the lessons start?" asked Belle as they strode through the wide double doors and made their way to the Gryffindor table(she picked up the pace as she spotted the spread of food set out for dinner).

"Tonight, right?" Charlotte informed, looking towards Estella for confirmation. She nodded.

"Oh, darn," Larissa sighed. "Lucille and I have got Writing Club."

They sat down.

Amelia frowned. "You couldn't skip one lesson? Just to try out the Duelling Club?"

Lucille looked scandalised. "Are you kidding?! We're sharing our ideas for what we want to work on today."

Hazel tilted her head. "Didn't you do that last year?"

Larissa shook her head. "Last year was getting to know each other and refining our technique. Now that we've finally gotten past the boring stuff, we can get going on actually writing!" Her eyes gleamed.

Estella smiled. "What are you thinking of writing about?" she asked as she scooped mashed potato onto her plate.

"Something paranormal for sure," Larissa chattered excitedly. "Super eerie and haunted-like."

Hazel shuddered. "Won't it be scary?"

"No way!" Larissa implored. "I love paranormal stories!"

"And yet you don't go trick-or-treating," Amelia mused, raising an eyebrow.

"What about you Luce?" Charlotte nudged Lucille on the shoulder, biting into a slice of pizza. "What are you writing about?"

"Historical fiction," she said at once, waving her arms around in excitement. They danced through the air, making waves and distinct figures as she spoke. "I want to write from the perspective of someone who lived around the time of the four founders of Hogwarts."