Chapter 49- Taste like Porridge?

A.N: Hi Dearests(⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠❤ Another week, another new chapter. Though I'm not confident enough about this one, I still want to continue the storyline so that I get to wrap up quickly.

Thank you so much for all the love, support and comments!

Happy Reading!

***

When Yiheng opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was the ceiling. Desperately in search of someone, he moved to sit up and call. His whole body ached and a groan rose inside his throat. Instinctively his palms curled into fists but suddenly he realised there was something delicate in his right hand.

"...Wife."

It was Yuan's hand in his hand.

Yiheng moved to his side and finally found Yuan soundly sleeping on the bedside, half seated on the tool beside the bed. His long hair was all tangled up and blocking his face. Yiheng carefully stretched his arm to caress those messy hair strands. It was uncomfortable to move with thick patches of bandages all over his body. Yet, he tried hard to get up.

"I want to see what expressions he's making in sleep…." he mumbled vaguely.

However, the continuous movements on the bed had already cautioned Yuan, and as a result, he woke up nervously. Yiheng at last saw his pale face. He had puffy eyes, broken lips, and anemic skin. His eyes were soaking up as soon as he woke up from a deep sleep.

"...Wife…were you crying?"

Yuan hurriedly got up and jogged out of the room.

"Wife! Wait!......." Yiheng appeared more shocked than Yuan.

Did I accidentally die? Why does he look like he saw a ghost…? What should I do?

Funnily enough, Yuan only went to call the royal physicians for Yiheng. He assisted Yiheng sit up and rest his back against the bed crown. The physicians examined him thoroughly and changed his bandages with new bandages. Then, they left them alone.

There was silence for a while…

Yiheng gently took his hand when Yuan sat on the tool beside the bed, "I'm glad you didn't get hurt."

Surprisingly, Yuan swatted his hand away, leaving Yiheng stunned to his toes. Droplets of tears trembled in the crook of moist azure eyes. Yuan spoke with grief, "And who said you could come to my rescue, covered in blood and cuts?"

Yiheng was at a loss for words. He thought Yuan would be overwhelmed and thankful for saving him from that obsessed freak. Instead, here, Yiheng was getting schooled for being reckless.

Yuan continued, "Who taught you to be so reckless? I'll beat them up!"

Yiheng, "I….sorry….."

"Seriously? Do you have any idea how terrified I was when you weren't waking up even after two fucking days?"

Yiheng could feel his heart tighten hearing Yuan's genuine care and worry, "I'm sorry. I won't do that again. Please stop crying."

Yuan's sniffles went on, "Don't do that ever again. Otherwise, I will-"

Yiheng once again tried to slowly clasp Yuan's hand. Surprisingly this time, Yuan willingly took his(WY) hand in his(BY) hand. Yiheng's palm was bigger and warmer than his. Yuan felt the heat circulate from his hands to his face because his face soon became warmer.

His anger was long gone, he slowly spoke while meekly fondling Yiheng's fingers, "Um…Thank you for saving me…"

"It's my accountability to ensure your safety. Why are you thanking me, wife?"

Yuan hurriedly shook his head after the realization hit him. Yiheng seemed to be in pain for some reason.

"Ah! It's... I'm just grateful. You know. It's been so long since I felt this way."

Yiheng nodded his head in understanding. He had so many things going inside his head but he couldn't speak any of those. Yuan nervously continued, "Also, please don't call me 'Wife'-"

Yiheng froze in his actions. His emotionally damaged expression was so funny that it made Yuan chuckle, "Aigoo, I don't mean it harshly. That day when Your Majesty called me by my name… It felt really good to hear." Yuan had his signature bright smile hung on his lips, slightly rosy cheeks, and earnest eyes of all time. Yiheng's heart was bound to skip a few beats.

"Then you should also-" Sadly he couldn't finish his sentence because there was a knock on the door. Yuan sprang up to quickly open the door.

"Oh! You brought it just in time."

A maid stood outside with a bowl of warm porridge. Yuan took it from her and closed the door behind him. His movements were natural and swift. Yiheng couldn't take his eyes off no matter what. He watched as Yuan placed the tray on a small tea table nearby and pulled out a small package of silver spoons.

Yiheng asked curiously, "Are you checking the food?"

With full focus, Yuan gave him a small nod and continued his inspection.

"I learned it from the physicians. We can't risk your health, Your Majesty. Ok. All good. No poison detected."

Unintended, a small smile grew on Yiheng's lips. Yuan came to sit on his previous seat. He had the tray in his hands, "Will you be able to eat by yourself?"

Something moved inside Yiheng's head and he shook his head, "It's painful to move my shoulders. Can you help?"

"Of course." Yuan innocently took a spoonful of the porridge and blew on it before placing it in front of Yiheng's mouth. Yiheng's gaze on him was deep and expressive as he took the first spoonful in his mouth. Yuan smiled curiously, "How does it taste?"

Yiheng gave him a look of approval, "Good."

"Thank goodness. I cooked after so long. I thought it wouldn't be palatable."

Yiheng blinked at him, "You did?"

Yuan went on as he scooped another spoonful, "Yeye threw a fit after not seeing me for two days, so, I thought I should make something for him as a gesture of consolation."

Yiheng gave him a worried look, "Two days? Were you hurt anywhere? Is it serious? Let me see! "

Yuan got flustered, "No. I only got some scratches. They will go away soon."

"Then? Where were you in the past two days?"

Yuan looked down at the steamy porridge, flushed, "I was worried about you and…stayed by your side all this time. Okay?"

"...."

"Please ignore it. The porridge will get cold. Eat up."

"This won't do, Yuan, can you keep the tray aside for a moment?"

Yuan stared at Yiheng, "Why? What happened?"

Yiheng squirmed in his position, "I think the bandages on my left shoulder are coming off."

Yuan was quick to move, "Where? Let me fix it."

However, as soon as he got close to Yiheng, he was pulled inside Yiheng's embrace. Yuan scrunched his eyebrows and looked at Yiheng who wasn't guilty at all for deceiving him so blatantly.

"What're you scheming, your majesty?"

"It's your fault for being so lovable," his movements were so flawl7ess that before Yuan could realize it, Yiheng's lips were already on his. It tasted like dried plum porridge. The soft kiss on his lips was sweet and addicting.

Yiheng leaned forward to go for a few more kisses but got stopped by a red-as-tomato Yuan, "Don't move so much. You need to heal fast. Everyone is very concerned about you."

Yiheng dropped his head on Yuan's shoulder who was straddling him, "I'll do everything you say, but you're never allowed to disappear like that. I thought my heart could stop if I didn't see you."

Yuan's heart raced hearing Yiheng's thoughts, "W-well, you t-too. Don't get hurt."