𝟎𝟏𝟑. the darkest secrets

013. THE DARKEST SECRETS

 THE DARKEST SECRETS

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

Mischa, Mal, Alina and Baghra set out on horses not too long after she was given the kefta and changed into it. As Baghra decided to leap off her horse, Alina followed suit with Mischa and Mal still on their horses behind them, listening it to their conversation.

"I know that look." Baghra announced as Alina took her horse by the reins. "You plan on killing him."

"Genya thinks he's dying already."

"Yes, polluted with merzost." Baghra said in disgust. "The price of creating those monsters."

"I'd like to speed his end, but he is your son. I'd like to be clear to you about my intentions."

"You're taking to power well I see."

"I won't deny it. I want the Firebird. The power of all three." Mischa noticed Mal shift on his saddle from beside her out of the corner her eye. "Tearing down the Fold won't kill Kirigan, but I can't get to him unless I can destroy his nichevo'ya So, Nikolai's commissioned a hunt for a blade so sharp it can cut shadow."

Baghra knew what blade. "The Neshyenyer Blade. Yes? Good."

"If I made an army similar to his only of light, then —"

Baghra stopped abruptly as her eyebrows rose, sharp as a razor at hearing where she was beginning to lead. "To create such a thing, you'd have to use merzost. Foolish. Swear to me you'll never use it."

"I swear."

"Mean it, girl." Baghra stated harshly, although she did hold fear after seeing what happened to her son after using merzost. "Merzost creates matter where there was none before. It is magic, it's not the Small Science. You will not know what price is demands until it is too late."

Alina and Baghra went back to walking. "I need a weapon. If not merzost then the Cut, but I tried before, and —"

"You mean to kill him in your tethered space." Baghra realized.

"Only this time I can strike harder. He won't trust me if I go to him, but if he comes to me—"

Baghra cut her off. "He'll kill you first and the chance to save Ravka will die with you. There's nothing to reach with the Cut. It's already there when you want it. It does require practice though. After we find the Firebird. Besides, it seems you can do damage enough without it."