𝟎𝟎𝟏. novyi zem

001. NOVYI ZEM

   Mischa Romanov was plagued with nightmares

Mischa Romanov was plagued with nightmares. Maybe not the same as Alina's but none of the less they involved the deceased Aleksander. Even in his grave he was haunting Mischa. The purple heavy bags under her eyes were proof. It cost her many nights of restless sleep, even when she was awake she swore she saw a shadow watching her, the very shadows she used to seek refuge in, now only fear came from them. Mal told her she was delirious from exhaustion, Alina at least backed her a little sense she was having nightmares of Kirigan again although Mal had eased her worries.

   Mischa can remember the day she first met Alina. They didn't instantly clicked because Mischa was never one for talking or meeting new people. But, somehow over time, Alina won her over. Perhaps it was the first light show given in the Palace which made The Black Bird feel hope for Ravka. Mischa became one of the few people in the Little Palace Alina knew she could trust. Mischa aided her in her escape and her other escape on the skiff where the Crows had aided as well as Mal after Mischa was betrayed by her friend and mentor from his secrets and lies.

   After that, Alina begged Mischa to come with her and Mal as everyone else went off in different ways. Mischa had no where to go, no place. Her place was by The Darkling's side. Now, her place became at the Sun Summoner's side, where she would being Hope back to all of Os Alta.

   Still, her title constantly loomed over her head. General Kirigan's otkazat'sya. The Black Bird. A killer and assassin that's been trained since she was rescued from the orphanage at a young age. Although no one had recognized her yet, — thankfully — her own subconscious was beating her every moment. With all the running and searching, Mischa hasn't had any time to really process what has happened, how she was betrayed and held trauma now and that she was basically on the run. But, for someone who always hid in the shadows and used in as transportation, running was never a problem for her.

If it weren't for Alina Starkov, Mischa Romanov would be lost, a shell of a woman that slowly deteriorated when Aleksander left. Though, there were times Mischa wished she were someplace else, especially when Alina and Mal would have their moments and gaze into each others eyes or subtly flirt. They did it quite often. The girl felt like a third wheel in this journey.

   Mischa had made a new promise to herself. To only ever bend, not break, and Aleksander would certainly not be the one to break her.

   She realized how much bad she had done by standing by his side all these years, that she felt accountable and the only way to redeem herself was to now stand by The Sun Summoner and her journey to tear down the fold and reunite the world once again after so many years divided by that Dead Sea. Alina told her she did not need to redeem herself as she was just another puppet that was manipulated and lied to in The Darkling's grand scheme. Mischa didn't believe her. It was her fault she trusted the first man who claimed he would build her up strong so she would never falter. She trusted a man who made her into a perilous slaughtering creature, who was taught not to feel certain things. Like Sadness.