𝟎𝟎𝟗. ties that bind

009. TIES THAT BIND

   "Why must you always play the diplomat, Nikolai?" Vasily questioned his younger brother as Lantsov family including Mischa sat a long table designed for the Royals as others dined at other tables nearby

   "Why must you always play the diplomat, Nikolai?" Vasily questioned his younger brother as Lantsov family including Mischa sat a long table designed for the Royals as others dined at other tables nearby. Alina, Mal, Zoya and the rest were at the table closest, Mischa begging for Alina not to leave her. They dined on the wine in their cups until the feast was served.

   So, far, Vasily was an utter prick. It was clear he hated Grisha and basically everyone with a title below his. Even Nikolai, his younger brother he disliked, it was obvious. Mischa prayed for Ravka. When the disabled King passes, this idiot will be King with a country to control. Ravka was doomed the day he is crowned.

   Vasily never bothered to hide the disgust laced in his tone. "Grisha dining beside true Ravkan soldiers is a bit much for all our stomachs."

   Mischa, not being able to bite her tongue, spoke firmly, "We are all Ravkan here." She had chosen the end seat beside Nikolai who was forced to sit next to his arrogant brother.

   Nikolai, ever the peacemaker, smiled at his brother. "Doesn't need to be us versus them."

   "General Kirigan should've thought of that before he tried to murder my father and stage a coup." Music began to play softly as Vasily merely glanced at the King on the other side of the Queen — who was listening in on the conversation. "That said, absent their Darkling, the Grisha are rather easy to manage."

   The cup that was to her lips, Mischa placed down firmly on the table as she looked at the man sipping on his wine. "'By manage', do you mean 'execute', moi tsarevich?"

   "That fate is reserved for traitors to the Crown, Miss Romanov." He said her name in distaste.

   Mischa was not finished as she tried to calm her boiling rage. "If the Second Army requires a leader loyal to the Crown to assure their fealty, then Alina, the Sun Summoner, will lead them."

   Three heads immediately turned to her. It was quiet until Vasily began laughing and his Queen mother gradually joining in although she looked unsure.

   Vasily leant forward in amusement, egging her on. "Why should I believe she nor you have any loyalty to my family?"  He credited her with disgust when speaking to and about her. He obviously didn't like her and the same could be said both ways.

   Mischa paused as Nikolai turned his head to her, their eyes meeting as they deliberated something. When Mischa nodded, so did Nikolai and the blond Prince pushed his chair back, rising to his feet with his filled cup raised in the air. Mischa's eyes found the empty plate in front of her as her hands rested in her lap, picking off the skin around her fingernails.

   The moment his lips parted to speak, every guest and Grisha snapped their attention to him. "Today marks the start of a new era of cooperation between Lantsov's and the Grisha. I'm delighted to announce my engagement to Mischa Romanov." Mischa glanced up hesitantly, only to see Zoya with a perplexed look as she stared at the brunette. "Together, we will build a better future for Ravka. And, I'm happy to announce The new Leader of the Second Army, Alina Starkov!"