Chapter 25 - Pillow Talk (Season 4)

Start from the beginning

Eren tilted his titan head to look to Leah for further instructions, his aquamarine irises glinting in the moonlight. Leah took up a handful of the titan's matted black hair and wrapped it around her hand a couple times. "All good for submerging, Eren."

The titan nodded his head, jerking Leah's attached arm with it, before slowly sinking into the water. Leah gasped in a final breath and squeezed her eyes shut in preparation for their submersion. All the force on her body lifted as the frigid water swelled around her. For the briefest second she was weightless, floating in the saline water.

The icy temperatures of the water lessened as her body acclimatised quickly, thanks to her regular evening swims. The hair which she tightly gripped went taught around her hand and dragged her along through the water. The resistant forces causes her to strain at first, but after reaching her second hand out to grip the makeshift rope, the effort lessened. Leah was dredged through the water blindly, unaware of time or space in that moment.

Her daily practice of holding her breath as long as possible - something which always left Armin a nervous wreck on the sidelines - paid off as her lungs had barely reached their usual burning, aching state by the time Eren resurfaced.

Sodden and panting, Leah dangled from the back of Eren's head. Above her, casting an all encompassing shadow, was the butt of the Marley boat. Leah craned her neck to gaze up at it, squinting her eyes as droplets of water dripped down on her.

Eren, straining to keep the boat above their heads, began striding to shore. When the water relented to a flat span of rock, Eren dumped the boat down, instantly landlocking it.

Hange, Levi, their chosen Marleyean hostage and a collection of other Scouts and soldiers gathered around the ship, preparing for Hange to engage the enemy.

The incoherent yabbering of Hange's speech didn't quite reach Leah's ears as she scrambled to perch on Eren's shoulder once more. The woman shook off like a dog, trying to rid some of the water that saturated her clothing.

Leah patted the titan's jaw. "Good job looking hella' ominous, Jeager." A grumbling growl came from the titan in response as he towered over the boat below them.

When the soldiers a-board the boat only continued to point their guns at Hange, Levi and their blonde Marleyean hostage, Leah let out an exasperated sigh. "Guess that's my cue."

The woman let go of Eren's hair and stepped off his shoulder, free falling towards the boat's deck. Her waterlogged cape flapped out behind her, sending droplets of water scattering everywhere. Just before she collided with the metal, she activated her gear and swung up.

Startled screams echoed from the boat and the barrels of the soldiers' guns turned to Leah as she landed elegantly on deck. The click of a gun broke through the heavy breathing of terrified soldiers and Leah's head swivelled to the young man who held the gun in his trembling hands.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Leah smirked and jabbed a thumb in the direction of Eren's titan, "Ya see, I mean a lot to that titan shifter, for whatever reason, and if you shoot me- well, let's just say he won't be so hesitant to show you how he feels. I'm sure none of you really fancy seeing the insides of a titan, right?"

The white uniformed soldiers shared scared looks and a few of them lowered their weapons. "Good choice." Leah spun on her heels, sauntering bravely past the soldiers and towards the bow of the ship where the boat's captain stood shaking with anger - or fear.

"Care to take us up on that offer for tea?" She smiled charmingly, offering a brief wave to her comrades on shore. The man gritted his teeth, a look of fury and indignation only growing on his features.