09 (Secret crushes)

Chapter 9

Conrad

Past

I tried conversing with Ivory and I'll admit that none of my gestures that showed interest were real. She said something that gathered a laugh from a few people who heard it and I forced a smile on my lips despite that I didn't hear it. Ivory is a very popular girl in town. Unlike the other girls, she behaves like a proper lady. Now wearing a denim skirt and a ribbon crop top, she doesn't look less decent.

I run my eyes on her and I won't deny the fact that she's really beautiful. High cheekbones, sultry eyes, and full lips. She's skinny but she's tall, she even reached my eye level. If I was Jack, I would probably take an interest in her—at least in another degree of interest.

My eyes subconsciously wander back to where I and Aki were a while ago. I saw her walking in the crowd with Rowan.

Girls try to impress me with their body, face, and flirty words. And as much as I'd like to make myself believe that I'm a teenage boy who succumbs quickly to his hormones, the girls who hit on me are not Aki. They don't pique my interest as much as Aki does to me.

"Hey, Conrad,"

I returned my attention to Ivory who called me with her soft voice. Her eyes tell me that she's disappointed that I wasn't listening to her. In my circle, I wasn't entirely a gentleman—that's Andre's role, but I wasn't also heartless.

"I'm sorry. Ano ulit 'yon?" I don't need to lie that I heard everything she said because it's obvious that I didn't pay attention.

"Uhm, tinatanong ko kung gusto mong pumunta sa ruins?" She asked shyly and flushed after realizing what she had just said.

I don't really know her but words travel that behind her prim and proper demeanor, she's not as innocent as she appears to be. And I have nothing against it. We may be young but our body is ours—we can't let anyone decide what we're going to do with it. I'm protective of Aki, but if in a different universe and she's sexually active, I won't hold it against her. Girls should be freed of criticism if they explore sexually.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Ivory." I said honestly.

I'm no saint and I know what she wants from me, but I have enough respect to show that it's not what I want from her.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Akala ko lang..." she trailed off and panicked.

I watched her in pure curiosity. For someone who's not as innocent as she looks, she definitely could fool someone into believing that she is.

"Hindi 'yon ang habol ko sa'yo."

I don't why I said that. Before I talked to her, I had no intention of giving her false hopes, but it just slipped. I looked over my shoulder again and saw Aki laughing with Rowan. It boiled my blood to higher degrees.

"Oh," Ivory reacted but I ignored her. "Sabi nga nila hindi ka katulad ng mga kaibigan mo. But I've never really done it before although that's what other people say about me. I only kissed. And... I like you, Conrad—"

"Hey, I'm sorry, pero kailangan ko lang balikan ang kaibigan ko. We'll talk again, I promise." I cut her off unintentionally and smiled at her.

Her eyes widened in both surprise and disappointment but she nodded.

"Okay. I'll see you at school, then?"

I only nodded and turned around. I sauntered toward my friends and I hated how Rowan could make Aki laugh like that. He's our friend and I trust him with her but... I don't know, I just hate it.