01 (Me and my team)

Chapter 1

Conrad
Past

There's really something about the earth when it just rained. The scent of petrichor feels like a new life. Like it was the start of something new.

I smiled watching the few drops of rain coming from the roof floor. Kanina pa tumila ang ulan ngunit may iilan pa ring patak ng ulan ang tumutulo mula sa roof floor ng mansion at sa bawat dahon ng mga puno sa paligid.

I jumped two steps at a time on the staircase towards the driveway and ran to large fountain in the center. Ang malaking bowl ay puno ngayon ng tubig ulan at bahagyang marumi dahil sa mga dahong dinala ng hangin. I jumped on the edge of the water basin and lift my gaze to see the waters flow endlessly. Sa gilid ay may maliliit pang mga vase na kapwa may sari-sarili ring tubig na nilalabas.

Sabi ni lola ay matagal na itong nakatayo dito at hindi nila pinapatanggal dahil isa ito sa aming mga heritage. I remembered that this fountain was used to be just small but they upgraded it as time passes by.

Umikot ako at nag-ingat na huwag madulas at baka wala sa oras akong makapag-swimming sa maruming tubig. Bahagya nga lamang akong nabasa dahil sa nagbabagsakang tubig dahilan para huminto ako at tumalon na ulit sa concrete driveway.

Naglakad ako sa harap at hinayon ng tanaw ang hindi kalayuang gate. It was a huge black gate that was about the same height as our mansion, and it has three security guards—both inside and outside.

I crossed my arms on my chest as I keep staring at the driveway to the gate—not even trying to blink. Lagi ko naman siyang nakikita pero hindi ko alam kung bakit nasasabik pa rin akong makita siya araw-araw na para bang hindi kami nagkita kahapon. My excitement to see her everyday is still the same excitement I used to have when we were eight.

She was my first friend and now she's my best friend. At sa tuwing binabalikan ko ang kabataan namin, hindi pa rin nagsasawa ang mga labi ko na ngumiti. We're inseparable, my family said, and when we entered high school, I was kind of scared that we might take different paths but it didn't happen, thankfully.

I just can never afford to not have her by my side. And I think she feels the same way, too.

"Hey!"

I straightened my back and jerked my head when I saw her enter the gate and she saw me first. She waved her small hand at me and I can see how bright her smile is even from afar.

Her long red hair is so noticeable because it was a rare hair color in this country, and her hooded hazel green eyes gleaming,—my lola always say that they were like evergreens—and her red eyebrows like her hair are enticing. And even though she's wearing a dark blue oversized shirt and loose pants paired with her worn out vans, she's still pretty.

She doesn't dress like the other girls our age, but it didn't become a reason to not notice how beautiful she is. The way she dresses, it will only make the boys focus instead on her face and figure out that she's gorgeous. Honestly, I hate it when other boys stare at her. I just... hate it.

"Inabot ka ba ng ulan sa daan?" Salubong kong tanong sa kaniya.

She grinned at me and shook her head. "Buti na lang tumila rin agad. Akala ko aabutin ng hapon ang ulan, eh."

Ngumuso ako. Madalas siyang pumunta dito sa mansion tuwing umaga dahil nasanay na kami simula pa noong mga bata kami. Fourteen years old na kami at grade 7 na pero kapag siya ang kasama ko, para pa rin kaming mga batang naglalaro noon. Like nothing has changed between us. And I'm hoping we will remain like this. I hate to say it aloud, but I don't want to grow up if it only means that I'll lose her.