A Special Request

Start from the beginning

Professor Hayes gestured towards a secluded table at the far end of the library, away from the clusters of Honor Society students. "Let's go over there. Ms. Jenkins is waiting for us."

I followed him, and as we approached, I saw Ms. Jenkins sitting there. She was well-known across campus, especially among the athletic circles. Stern, unyielding, and with a reputation for her no-nonsense approach. She was the academic coordinator who dealt directly with the athletes, ensuring their studies didn't fall behind their sports commitments.

She looked up, and her dark eyes settled on me with an intensity that felt like an X-ray. I half-expected her to hand me a robe because, under that stare, I might as well have been naked.

"Mr. Hayes, Ethan," she greeted.

"Ms. Jenkins, thank you for waiting," Professor Hayes said as we sat. "I believe Ethan would be an excellent fit for the tutoring role we discussed."

I chimed in, trying to sound casual, "Ms. Jenkins, great to see you," while internally bracing for that 'I'm not just analyzing your words, but also your life choices' look. But her lips twitched in what I assumed was her version of a welcoming smile.

"Ethan, I suppose that Hayes mentioned the special request to you. One of our student-athletes requires a tutor with not only exceptional academic skills but also experience in working with them. This student is in a particularly sensitive situation regarding their grades."

I had to admit I was somewhat impressed by the student-athletes. They managed to keep their grades and game up - a balancing act I couldn't imagine mastering. Me? I'd probably drop the ball – literally and figuratively. Unless, of course, they start recognizing the art of binge-watching series and surviving on ramen as a varsity sport. It wasn't uncommon for them to be under pressure to maintain grades, but the way Ms. Jenkins described it, this case sounded more serious.

I took a moment to gather my thoughts before speaking. "I appreciate the confidence in my abilities. May I ask which student we're talking about?"

Ms. Jenkins exchanged a brief look with Professor Hayes before returning her attention to me. "The student in question is Jackson Knox, the football team's captain." She delivered the words with a matter-of-fact tone.

"Oh..." The word slipped out, almost involuntarily. At the mention of Jackson Knox, something stirred deep inside me, a sensation distinctly different from the annoyance of Leo's teasing. It was a flicker of unease, elusive yet unsettling, that I couldn't immediately place. My fingers, which had been absently playing with my backpack strap, froze in place. I gripped it tighter, my knuckles turning white. A sudden tightness enveloped my chest, reminiscent of a discomfort I hadn't felt in years. It felt like the very essence of everything I had been trying to avoid was now inexplicably haunting me.

"Everything alright, Ethan?" Professor Hayes's voice broke through my thoughts. I realized I must have paled for a moment.

"Yes, sorry, just a lot on my mind with the festival and all," I said, forcing a smile. "It's just... Jackson Knox is quite an unexpected."

"I remember you've mentioned preferring not to tutor football players in the past," Professor Hayes's voice sounded concerned, but there was an underlying sharpness to it, like he was carefully steering the conversation. I shifted uncomfortably, knowing where this was heading. "However, let's think about the bigger picture. Tutoring Jackson Knox is a golden opportunity."

I frowned, feeling a knot form in my stomach.

"We've already discussed your ambition for the prestigious MA in Literature program at Havenbrook University in Massachusetts, haven't we?" He leaned forward, his voice taking on a serious tone. "Imagine how a recommendation letter emphasizing your skill in handling challenging tasks could boost your application. Successfully tutoring someone like Jackson would be quite an achievement." He paused, letting the implication hang in the air.

"I...I," my words faltered. The cold from outside was forgotten. Droplets of sweat began to trickle down my back.

Havenbrook was a bastion of literary scholarship, a place where my most ambitious dreams could either take flight or give a forever goodbye kiss. Each year, it only accepted a handful of applicants, exclusively those who came highly recommended, often needing endorsements from high-profile individuals. The significance of what Professor Hayes was leveraging against me became painfully clear. He knew how crucial that recommendation letter was for my future—especially for someone like me, coming from a place where opportunities like attending Havenbrook University were rare and almost impossible to reach.

I didn't fully understand his intentions, but a realization struck me. "Given the... special nature of this, I would like to have a letter co-signed by Mr Knox. His endorsement, considering who he is, would be invaluable."

There was a pause, a moment where the balance of power seemed to teeter precariously. Professor Hayes's reaction was a fleeting hint of surprise, but it seemed almost too quick, too polished—as if he had been expecting this very request. And with Jackson's background, knowing the influence Jackson's father held, it all just made a bitter kind of sense. Then, Professor Hayes nodded slowly. Ms. Jenkins, who had been quietly observing, stood up.

"I don't mean to rush this discussion, but I've already taken enough of your time with the final arrangements for the Lantern Festival tonight. Ethan, could I get your contact information? We'll need to coordinate the tutoring sessions as soon as possible.

I remained there, momentarily frozen. Tutoring Jackson Knox wasn't just as simple as dropping a bomb and going. It was an important move in my academic career, one that could open doors, especially with a co-signed letter from someone like Mr. Knox. Yet, it felt like a deal with the devil.

Ha, lo que sera, sera.

With a resigned sigh, I swung my backpack off my shoulder. Rummaging through it, I found a sticky note. I rashly scribbled down my phone number and handed the note to Ms. Jenkins, feeling like I was signing a contract with fate itself.

"Thank you, Ethan. Jackson will be in touch soon."

_________

Here is the second part! Yay! 🎉We have one more part left to see how this ends up and if Ethan went to the game. 👀 So, let me know what you think of the comments and how Professor Hayes plays the "nice guy" card.

Remember to subscribe to 'Sidelines' on my website to receive early access to the chapters, NSFW Commissions🔥 and everything to do with the story straight to your inbox for free:

 https://www.novaraynestories.com/stories#OBaGVN

You can leave comments over there, but if you prefer to do so here, I would love to read them! Thank you so much for all the love 🩷