"There are many legends surrounding our city," she explained. "Some are all too familiar, some are more hidden. And some are almost completely dark. One such legend tells that there is something hidden in Sigil that could change everything : space and time, minds, dreams, even reality itself."

Sgillin slumped a little in his chair. "And we have found it ..." he murmured softly. "Great."

The factol acknowledged his remark with a brief smirk before continuing. "It's an artifact or ... something similar. It is integrated into the city, a part of it. But nobody knows where exactly it hides. No one knows how it works or is activated. This legend is shrouded in many mysteries. I can only tell you that this artifact is called Deus Machina. In turn, this legend is connected with another one, an old prophecy: When once the time comes, when the Machine could be brought to life, the Chosen of the Ring will wake. The Ring is probably a metaphor for Sigil, but perhaps also for the entire ring of the Outer Planes. It is said that these Chosen have special abilities that no one else possesses and that they themselves have never noticed until the day ... when it begins."

She ended and looked into partly astonished, partly overwhelmed faces. Da'nanin seemed less surprised - he had obviously been familiar with the legend. It took a while until Erin's words completely sank in. Then Naghûl sat up straighter, alarmed.

"Wait ... wait a minute," he interjected. "But we ... aren't those chosen ones, are we?"

Erin's smile could almost be called serious. "I fear so."

This was hard to digest, even for a Sensate. Naghûl leaned back and looked at the ceiling. Lereia, on the other hand, lowered her head. "But ... what are the Chosen supposed to do with a machine?"

Lady Erin sighed, appearing a little helpless herself - something Naghûl had never experienced before. "I don't know. Unfortunately, we know very little about this legend overall."

"And the nine people mentioned by the voice?" Lereia pondered. "The Thinker, the Seeker and so on? Are they the Chosen?"

"It could be interpreted that way," Erin replied. "The question is, why nine in particular."

"Perhaps the nine alignments?" Da'nanin assumed.

"Forgive me, factol," Sgillin intervened. "But may I ask how you learned of this legend?"

Erin threw the half-elf the same smile she had skillfully used to fluster him at their first meeting. "The factions of Sigil have many sources of information, the Sensates not the least." She left it at that and then looked to Lereia, who was now raising her hands in a somewhat overwhelmed manner.

"I can't make sense of these abilities we suddenly had in the house," the young woman explained. "It was so jumbled ... And it doesn't fit the nine titles either - if we may call them that."

Erin looked at the three of them with undisguised curiosity - after the initial surprise, excitement was now obviously winning out. "That's what we're going to find out," she stated. "Which of you is the Seeker? Or the Healer?"

"Or the Dreamer?" Da'nanin added with a smile. "Or who knows?"

Naghûl, too, now felt curiosity stirring after the initial fright and a Sensate's excitement made itself felt. "For my part, I think the Dancer would be quite nice," he remarked. "But I don't think I can choose that, and certainly it doesn't fit with the figures I've seen."

"That sounds more like the Thinker," Lereia commented, and Naghûl sighed deeply. "Please don't." That really wasn't a role he was eager to play.

The young woman raised her shoulders and then asked a question that had obviously been bothering her for a while. "Are these gifts or the machine a bad thing?"