The factol's daughter

Sigil has many names: the City of Doors, the Great City, the Ring, the Center of the Multiverse, the Eternal City.... But apart from all these rather poetic terms, the inhabitants themselves usually call their city simply "the Cage".

Fourth Lady's Day of Capricious, 125 HR

Naghûl was a little nervous as he and Sgillin climbed the steps to the Private Sensorium. Not because it was the first conversation with his factol. It was not. They had exchanged a few words in the Festhall, at one or another exhibition or theater performance. He had also once received a smaller order from Lady Erin - and probably completed it to her satisfaction, since another had followed a few months later, and then another one. But a personal invitation to the Private Sensorium? Coupled with a request to "not hesitate to bring trusted assistance"? That was something else. Something that was likely to send even Naghûl into a tizzy. As for trustworthy support, he had chosen Sgillin. He could certainly have asked his wife Morânia, but they had agreed to keep faction-related assignments separate from their marriage. Two factoti from different factions could otherwise quickly get lost. The half-elf had complied with his request, unconcerned as he usually was. Naghûl could have prepared him for what awaited him at a meeting with the factol of the Sensates. But he had decided to allow Sgillin this experience without influencing him in any way beforehand. A young aasimar stood guard outside the door to the Private Sensorium, but when Naghûl called his name, he and Sgillin were immediately admitted. In the spacious vestibule to the private sensory stones, a Corillian marble fountain splashed, surrounded by flowering honey palms. Seated on one of the silk-upholstered wooden chairs was the factol, and Naghûl could feel Sgillin's breath catch briefly. Yes, to call Lady Erin beautiful would have amounted to a shameless understatement. The thick auburn hair, its contrast to her fair, perfect complexion, the high but fine cheekbones, the perfectly arched brows had already been sung about by many poets. Yet it was her green eyes, brightly sparkling and alert, that made her most fascinating. Nothing seemed to escape them. The factol of the Sensates could not be called anything but ravishing, and although Naghûl knew her, he was always enchanted. Sgillin, on the other hand, had not been prepared for the sight ... Erin wore a dress of dark blue silk that covered only her left shoulder. Sewn to the short sleeve were dozens of thin night thrush feathers that fell long and silvery over her upper left arm. The dark blue fabric was so finely embroidered with silver threads that it looked like the night sky itself. Only part of her auburn hair was pinned up, the rest curling long and wavy over her back. A silver tiara with three stars was almost plain by Sensate standards, but set a perfectly fitting, simple, yet elegant accent. Sitting on Erin's lap, her white tressym Aurita snuggled against her, purring.

"Naghûl Ka'Tesh. I greet you." Erin's smile made the sun rise even in Sigil. "I'm glad you could come so quickly."

Her voice was warm and had a velvet overtone, but there was a strength in it that could not be ignored. Then her eyes fell on Sgillin and she eyed him for a while. The half-elf had been speechless as soon as he had caught sight of Erin, and this had not escaped Naghûl's notice. Could one blame him? "A friend of yours, Naghûl?"

Sgillin bowed silently and Naghûl nodded. "Indeed, this is Sgillin. A prime, but he has my complete trust."

"I uh ... greet you, dear factol," the half-elf brought out, stuttering a little.

Erin smiled. "Well, let us not foster any prejudice against primes." Her voice got a little louder at that, which didn't quite seem to fit into the conversation - almost as if this had been directed at someone else. Then she spoke more softly again. "Why don't you sit down?"

Naghûl motioned Sgillin to sit down on one of the chairs.

"Gladly, uh ... thank you." The half-elf could not take his eyes off Lady Erin. His foot caught on the chair and he stumbled. The factol smirked and watched him completely openly. Sgillin cleared his throat. "Excuse me, I ... um yes ..."