The roster

"The multiverse has always needed someone like us."
Jhary of Heka, first sentence in the Book of Harmonium

Fourth Hive Day of Capricious, 125 HR

Naghûl wasn't around Harmonium Street all too often. Too orderly, too many hardheads, too little music and life. But every now and then you had to grasp the nettle - especially if you worked for the Harmonium. At least he had Sgillin with him, even if the half-elf let him do the talking at the entrance.

"Lady's grace, my dear," Naghûl greeted one of the guards at the gate. "I would like to enter the Barracks and request a conversation with factol Sarin."

The female officer paused for a moment and then had to laugh. "Sure. And what do you really want?"

Naghûl smiled kindly at her. He had already figured it wouldn't be quite that easy. "I would like to speak with factol Sarin," he insisted.

Now the guard apparently had enough of the Sensates' jokes and frowned disapprovingly. "Well, I don't know how you imagine it, but not everyone can just come along and ask for an audience with the factol. Do you know how busy Sarin is?"

Sgillin wanted to say something, but bit his lips at a warning look from the tiefling and wisely kept quiet.

"Certainly I know that," Naghûl explained politely. "And I wouldn't ask for it just like that if I didn't know he would meet me. Oh, and if he should indeed be tied up with business, then surely his wife, the revered Faith, would speak with me."

This was enough to confuse the officer at least a little. "I see. Um, so you have an appointment, so to speak?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes." As she continued to scrutinize him, the Sensate sighed. "Of course I don't have an appointment, dear lady. But he will see me as soon as possible if you tell him that Naghûl Ka'Tesh, factotum of the Sensates, wishes to speak with him."

Now it obviously went too far for the guard. "You Sensates always have a lot of nerve." She shook her head. "Talk to Diana, please, she'll know how to .... um, handle this request."

"Of course. I'll find her where?"

The officer pointed to the door. "In the reception hall."

"I thank you sincerely, dear lady," the tiefling replied. "I wish you a good stint and some just arrests."

"We'll have those," the guard retorted somewhat snappily.

Naghûl and Sgillin opened the gate, not necessarily an easy task, as the door leaves were made of solid wood and high enough to allow even an ogre to pass comfortably. After they had entered, the door snapped shut loudly behind them, a thunderous sound that thoroughly shattered the silence that had lain over the entrance hall. Naghûl bit his lips and made a mental note: Next time, hold the door as it closes. The tiefling and the half-elf looked around. They were standing in a hall that would have held well over three hundred people, with massive columns carrying the ceiling. The architecture was unpretentious and sturdy, but not without a certain charm. The capitals of the columns and the floor mosaic showed stylized suns, shields and swords, all components of the Harmonium's faction symbol. Central to the hall was a heavy desk of dark wood, covered with numerous parchments, several inkwells and a few scrolls. Behind it sat an attractive woman, about in her late thirties, who radiated friendliness and charm. The noise the visitors had made on entering obviously did not anger her, for she smiled at them.

"Lady's Grace, gentlemen," the woman - probably Diana - greeted. "How can I help you?"

The Sensate approached the table and inclined his head in greeting. "My name is Naghûl Ka'Tesh. And although I would rather enjoy your company at the moment, I would need to speak with factol Sarin. Unfortunately, I do not have an appointment, but I am sure he will see me."