Introduction and Dramatis Personae

What is this about?

12 years ago I started a campaign with my roleplaying group, set in the Planescape setting - mainly in Sigil, City of Doors, but also on various planes. We started in 2011 and the campaign is still running. Since writing is a great passion of mine, I started to write down the game nights, as single chapters of a novel. A novel with many parts, should I ever get that far. Our group decided to share our story publicly as well - so here it is.

What to expect?

There is one major story arc that spans the entire campaign and is also ongoing. But each part also has a smaller, connected storyline, some of which is based on the original Planescape adventures and some of which came from my ideas as DM. The main characters are on the one hand the OCs of the party members, on the other hand some of the NPCs of the Planescape setting books or NPCs created by myself.

Is the campaign in accordance with Planescape canon?

Yes, for the most part. Obviously we are playing DnD 3.5, which means that everything that happens refers to the old Planescape setting books, not to the new 5e edition that is coming soon - which we are nevertheless very excited about. Possibly parts of it will find their way into our campaign. But since a large part of the story was played before fall 2023, the original Planescape setting is the determining factor here.

Long before Magic the Gathering was part of WotC, as a DM I integrated individual MtG worlds into our campaign because the wonderful Planescape setting allows it so beautifully. For example, one of the OCs is from Kamigawa. Funnily enough, by now it's even canon.

I also "smuggled in" some minor elements from other settings. For example, factol Sarin is not a paladin of Cuthbert, but of Iomedae from the Pathfinder setting. These were minor changes at the time that sprang from my personal taste, but basically have no major impact on the story itself.

Parts of the story are also inspired by the well-known Azrai campaign, which had a great wiki, that unfortunately exists no longer. The one or other Planescape veteran might remember it.

Will there be regular updates?

That is planned. I will try very hard to keep the story going and update it regularly.

Do I need to know D&D / Planescape to understand the story?

That is definitely helpful. In the story itself there is no introduction to Sigil and the planes, the factions etc.. That said, knowing the setting at least a bit will definitely help to follow the story, understand hints etc. However, I think and hope that even readers inexperienced with Planescape will be able to appreciate the story - they will just feel a little more clueless. ;)

an important last note: English is not my native language, so please forgive possible mistakes in expression and grammar.

After this somewhat lengthy introduction, let's take a quick look at the main characters before the first chapter. On the one hand the OCs of my players:

Naghûl Ka'Tesh