TEN

When Reagan arrived at the studio the next morning, it was to complete chaos.

Evan, Tate and Toby stood with Nerf guns and a bag of water balloons each. The other two were nowhere in sight and she stood at the door surveying the mess of the studio indecorously.

"Oh shit," said Toby, noticing her first.

"Fuck, what's the time?" said Tate, his eyes widening.

"Ten-fifteen," she hissed. "What the fuck?"

"Camereagan!" cheered Evan, firing her way. She ducked just in time and shot him a sharp glare.

"Listen up, you three," she snapped. "Five minutes. Literally the five minutes that I had arrived earlier for. If everything isn't in shape, I'm calling your security."

"Psh," said Evan, throwing a water balloon at Toby's head. "Security'll join us."

In response, Reagan backed a few steps out of the studio and tilted her head back. "Edward!"

"Shit!" cried Evan, throwing away everything he held and rushing to the bathroom.

She shot Tate a stern look and turned to the stairs. 

"Where are you going?" he called after her.

"Coffee. It's too early for this shit."

The cafeteria was packed. It took her a while to reach the counter and ask for her black coffee and a regular croissant. Just as she pulled out some cash, someone behind her spoke up. 

"Let me pay for that."

She glanced over her shoulder to find Chase staring down at her with his heavy-lidded gaze.

Reagan shrugged, getting out of the way. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it," he drawled, glancing at the barista. "Can you add an iced espresso to that? No milk."

They stood waiting for their order in silence and when they turned around, she looked up at him. "Why aren't you with the others? Wrecking shit?"

The corner of his lips lifted up. "It's still too early for that."

"Exactly what I told them," she muttered, sighing. "Where's Grumpypants?"

"Out," he said evasively. "Will you sit or should we head up?"

She shrugged. "What do you want?"

He glanced at her and nodded. "There's enough time for the photoshoot, let's leave them with the cleaning for a bit."

Reagan looked around the cafeteria and noticed that most people were glancing at them. "Why are they looking at us?"

"They're always looking," he said blankly. 

"Don't they get used to seeing you everyday or working with you?" she asked curiously.

Chase looked up from his phone and followed her gaze around the whispering staff. "I don't usually invite staff to sit for coffee."

"Oh," said Reagan, her cheeks tinting.

He grinned slightly. "They're probably making up scenarios right now. It doesn't matter, they're all too talkative if I were to invite them. You don't talk much."

She nodded, taking a bite out of her plain croissant. Chase's eyes flickered from her cup to the croissant she held and he tilted his head but kept his mouth shut. They didn't talk. He was busy on his phone and she busied herself with the printed schedule she had in the pocket of her Mom jeans.

"It's been ten minutes," she noted, standing up and dusting her hands off. "Shall we?"

He glanced at the long sleeves of her baggy, dark green cotton shirt and nodded, getting to his feet.