Whoa. I looked down at the city. There were an equal amount of plants to buildings. And jeez, we were high up.

I realised my hand was strangling Ronan's, so I dropped it abruptly.

"So this marriage law... we're married, then?" My voice went high at the end. It wasn't like I'd spent weeks with Ronan, been closer with him than anyone else in my life.

Ronan had his ever present serious face on. "Yes, for one revolution."

Huh. I fiddled with the fabric holding Lani to me. "What happens after that year? I mean, revolution?"

"You're free to remarry, leave Rhodin, do whatever you'd like."

I blinked at him. "We– we don't stay married?"

He tilted his head. "Pardon?"

Did he not want to be with me? I totally just swindled him into marrying me. I wrung my hands. "I mean, on Earth, marriage is permanent. Well, you can get a divorce, but that's not the goal. The goal's to stay married, well, forever."

"Forever?" His brows went up. "Yes, that's what we did before our females started dying and we had reproduction issues. Couples who were alive before the sickness generally stay together for life. Now, it's more common for women to remarry in hopes of reproducing. But some don't," Ronan explained in a halting, serious tone.

"Oh, okay." I nodded. So Ronan didn't want forever with me. I mean, that was fine. Totally fine.

Suddenly, a thought struck me.

I chewed my bottom lip. "Have you, um, been married before?"

"Me?" He seemed startled at the question. "No, of course not."

"Why not?" I asked honestly. He was kind, respectful, and hot as fuck. Why wouldn't he be married?

"I'm not... desirable." He looked out the window, not meeting my gaze. "My work also isn't conducive to a relationship– I'm often off planet with my team."

Right, he's 'Commander Hawke.' Part of the military. I knew that, I knew he was a soldier when we were back in captivity.

But not desirable? That didn't make sense to me at all.

"Have you been married before?" Ronan asked, voice rough, eyes meeting mine again with intensity..

"Me? What, no." I laughed at the absurdity of that. "I had a couple boyfriends, but that's it."

He didn't seem to understand, eyes cloudy with confusion. "Boy friends... young male friends?"

My eyes widened. "Erm, no. Like just dating?"

"Ah, courting. Yes." Ronan winced. "I didn't get great grades in that respect."

I blinked at him again. "They taught you about courting in school?"

"Yes... did Earth school not teach you?" he asked.

I shook my head, no.

Right, they taught them about having good sex, so they clearly taught about courting too.

"Why did those guys side eye us when you touched me back there?" I asked, thinking back to their odd reaction.

"We had stricter rules about males and females in the past due to the overpopulation, but the restrictions have been lifted ever since..." Ronan trailed off.

Since their women died. I'm sure it was hard to talk about, to think about. I couldn't imagine almost all human women dying, and then the women left not being able to have children. What happened? When? I wanted to know more, but it felt kinda insensitive to ask.

I nodded, the rules made sense, I guess. "What were the restrictions like?"

Ronan tilted his head, thinking. "Males and females who weren't married couldn't touch, sleep in the same bed. Things like that. Some still follow the rules. I did..." He cleared his throat. "Well, before I met you."

I raised my brows. "Oh, we have none of those on Earth."

"Hence your overpopulation?" Ronan gave me a wry smile.

"Ha, maybe," I laughed. God, I hadn't laughed in so long.

Ronan's lips lifted in an almost smile.

"Well, I'm a touchy person. Beware." I smiled.

"I'm not... but I'll try. I've never had... I mean, I'll do my best." Ronan squared his shoulders, brow furrowing.

I softened. "Hey, I'm not grading you on this. I'm just a tactile person. If you don't like it, I won't touch you as much."

"No, no," Ronan quickly denied. "I just don't know. I've never been able to freely share touch before. I- I think I'll like it."

My heart ached for him, that he never had that before. "Well, we'll find out together then, won't we?"

Ronan nodded. "We will."

We sat next to each other and I pressed myself closer into his side, his warmth, his comfort. Tentatively, he lifted his arm, hugging my side.

A smile ghosted my lips, despite everything that had happened. In this crazy world, Ronan was my anchor. 

✶ ☾ ✶

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Whaddya think of the chapter? I LOVEEE WRITING THE TWO OF THEM TOGETHER

How're you doing on a scale of 1-10? I'm a 6, just got my flu shot so my arm's hurting haha

Comments and votes are much appreciated.

Virtually yours,

Ro