Chapter 46: Dusk and Dawn

As a team, we made our way back to the stands to wait for the next match

As a team, we made our way back to the stands to wait for the next match. Altaria had fueled us again with her magic. We had done a lot of magic in a row, so this recovery was much needed; we only had two more matches to win. Eris announced, "Welcome back to your seats, folks. Our next match is a real treat. The first-place team from last year, Team Dream, and our runner-ups, Team Stormsurge, will go head-to-head in our losers bracket. Nobody expected them to get knocked out so early, but here they are, ready to claw their way back into the tournament."

Team Dream was on the east side, and Team Stormsurge was on the west side of the gym. I voiced my opinion, "It should be obvious, but we need Team Stormsurge to win here not only because we have a better chance against them, but because I want Pylus to win." Lysandra nodded, "I respect that girl; she really is strong. I think she'll be the difference-maker in this one." Quinn nodded, "What worries me is Prince Sorbek; that ice magic is fine-tuned, and his anti-magic armor is something to watch for. He might be in a bad matchup here, though." Lulith chuckled, "No doubt Pylus can absorb his magic and can smash him with her sword to counter. Either way, this should be an interesting match."

Nobody said it, but I think it was understood that Professor Berkley and Princeton would only play a supporting role. Unlike the other teams, their other members played such important roles. Professor Berkley sets up the play, and their other members knock them down. Likewise, Professor Princeton follows up with his team on plays they make, or tries to shield them. They both play a more hands-off role than the other professors like Professor Castweaver. I asked, "Professor Princeton, he is a dual mage, right? Why have I never seen him cast his other magic?" Everyone, but Lysandra, looked at me with surprise. Lulith chimed in, "Oh right, you never did his hellish training, so you wouldn't understand." Quinn nodded, "You'll be in for a surprise if he shows it off here. He won't use it unless he thinks he really needs to use his other magic. It's not exactly an elemental combo he can hold back with."

Eris announced the beginning of the match, "Let last year's rivalry commence! Fighters, get ready, and begin!" Both teams prepared to attack after that signal. Team Dream was in the same formation as last time, with Sorbek in the front. Team Stormsurge changed it up, though, with Mynus and Pylus on either side of Professor Berkley. In the back row were the boy with the blue hair and glasses, along with the silver-haired girl with pigtails. The battle erupted in chaos right away as Prince Sorbek stepped forward.

Looking bored, Prince Sorbek stated commandingly, "Surrender now and save us both the five minutes this will take." Professor Berkley smiled, "Now, now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've got to let this battle play out properly. Here, let me lighten the mood." He conjured a spell right away, a magnetic charge in his hands. His plump belly roared with laughter, "Lesson one: never get overconfident in battle. God's hands!" Despite being immune to magic, strangely, Prince Sorbek was caught off guard as his armor shot forward. His armor, seemingly with a mind of its own, pulled him forward at an extreme speed. It would appear that even the prince was caught off guard; he tried to stop himself with his sword, but it was too late.