Chapter 23.5 - Happy Birthday

Start from the beginning

When Hange's familiarly enthusiastic tone rung from outside, Leah ducked into the first room down the hallway: the bathroom.

"Where the hell are we, Eyepatch?" Levi complained from the just outside the front door. "Who's house is this?"

"What house?" Hange queried, as the door creaked open. There was the gentle pounding of boots on the wooden floor as Levi and Hange entered the house.

"Don't play dumb with me." Levi berated, but quickly became distracted by the scent in the air. It was instantly recognisable, filling him with the warmth he'd grown to associate it with; the scent of Leah. His guard dropped in seconds as he began slipping off his coat and hanging it on the peg by the door as he scanned the room. His eyes narrowed and darted to the shadowed hallway leading off the kitchen and living room when the floorboards squeaked.

Leah appeared from the darkness and leaned a shoulder against the wall at the end start of the room, crossing her arms and smirking. "Surprise." She spread her arms to the room they stood in.

"Surpise?" Levi repeated suspiciously. Leah nodded and continued towards them. "Happy birthday, Levi."

The raven-haired man rounded on Hange. "You told her?" He snapped. Hange raised their hands innocently, but Levi wasn't buying it. "Don't lie to me, there's only one other person who had access to my file and he's dead."

The atmosphere shifted in the room at the mention of their dead Commander and Leah hesitated to get any closer. On realising what he'd done, Levi sighed. "I'm sorry. I appreciate it," He turned to the buffet of food. "Is this all for me?"

"It is quite a lot of food for three people, isn't it?" Leah puzzled as she walked over an armchair in the corner where she picked up a small blue box wrapped in a navy ribbon. Levi, with his attention on the myriad of meals before him, didn't notice.

"Here. This is from me." Leah offered him the present, a small smile on her face. Levi looked from Leah, to the box, and back. "You... didn't have to." He frowned, trying to push her hand away.

"Levi, don't be rude." Hange nudged him. He clicked his tongue petulantly and accepted the gift, placing it on the table as he undid the ribbon and lifted the lid off. Secured safely amongst pale tissue paper was a flawless metal mesh tea strainer. Levi stared at it in awe for a breath before snapping his head to look at Leah, who now stood beside him, smiling proudly. Levi scowled. "How much did this cost you?" He demanded.

Leah tapped the side of her nose knowingly. Levi wanted to be angry, he really did, but the longer he gazed at Leah's triumphant smile the harder he found it. Eventually a reluctant smile broke out on his face. "How did you know I needed a new one?"

"Lucky guess." As Levi traced his fingers over the rim of the tea strainer, Leah sent Hange a wink. "Speaking of... would you like any tea?" Leah asked purposefully loud, hoping her voice would carry to the rest upstairs.

Levi gave Leah a judging look, which she appeased with a charming smile. "I'm right next to you, you don't need to shout, but sure... I guess-"

On queue there was a thud from above them. Leah jumped slightly, and tried her best to act scared. She put an arm out to move Levi behind her. "I thought you said this place was empty?" Hange whispered in a mock panic.

"It was... wait here, I'm just going to go check it out."

Levi scoffed and side stepped the woman to take the lead, pacing down the darkened hallway towards the stairs. "As if I'd let you do that."

Hange and Leah sped after him as he cleared the stairs three at a time and paused on the landing, his squinted eyes jumping between the three doors. The two to his left and right were open, but the one straight ahead was closed. A shadow shifted, visible in the crack under the door. Levi stalked forward and pressed an ear to the door.