Chapter 1

A/N:

This chapter based from the episode 1 of the TV series.

-=-=-=-=-=-

ARSLAN

   I wonder what (F/n) is doing right now.

   "Please focus, Prince Arslan," a voice said.

   I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at the person who spoke.

   "I'm sorry, Vahriz," I smiled apologetically.

   The man nods. "Well then... Let's start again, Prince Arslan," Vahriz said, going into a stance.

   We started sword-fighting again. I am currently learning swordsmanship from my instructor, Vahriz. I retreated back to catch my breath.

   "Come, once more!" Vahriz said.

   "Why, you," I lunged at Vahriz and strucked him from above but he easily parried my attack.

   "Now, above!", "Now, middle!", "Now, above!", "Now, below!", "Now, above!"

   I grunted as I parried every attack from Vahriz. Even though he is telling me where he would attack, I had a hard time keeping up because they were fast plus strong. I was surprised by the last strike from the middle which made me stumble and fall and my sword fly. The two maids that was watching were startled when my sword fell not far from where they stand.

   "You are terrible, Vahriz. Using a maneuver like that on me!" I said, frowning.

   "Such trifling moves would not be considered a maneuver. They were merely fundamental sword strokes. However, if you do not cultivate those fundamentals, your maneuvers will be less powerful as well. Hone those fundamentals, Prince Arslan," Vahriz lectured me, as usual.

   "It is no fun," I complained. "Why did you not accompany my lord father on his campaign, Vahriz?" I asked Vahriz out of nowhere.

   "Safeguarding this place, the Royal Capital of Ecbatana, is the duty that I have been assigned upon this occasion. It is not only Lusitania to the west. Kingdoms to the east have their eyes upon this city as well, so we musn't let our guard down," Vahriz said.

   True. I sighed. "If you are so busy, you needn't give me daily sword lessons." I said to him. And I'll have plenty of time to visit (F/n). Hmm... If I have time later, I could visit her. I smiled at the thought. I haven't seen her for weeks. I wonder how is she.

   "Speaking with such lackluster ambition, you will never become a fine king. Even simply mastering the fundamentals of the sword will show in how you carry yourself straight and tall," Vahriz' words snapped me out of my thoughts. "Moreover, Your Highness, you've yet to join your first campaign, so you must train the sword in preparation for that day!"

   "I get it! I get it but..." I looked at the floor.

   The two maids were tending to my needs, washing my feet and the like. They even made me wear a robe made of fine silk. Me and Vahriz then entered the palace and just in time, we saw mother.

   "Swordsmanship, Arslan?" mother asked.

   "Yes!" I answered. "I'm trying my best, in order to become a great king like father, but I'm not making much progress..." I said, weakly. "The general is helping me now, too. As expected of general Vahriz. But I - "

   "I see," I was cut short by mother and continued to her room like nothing happen with her maids.

   I questioned myself, "What exactly is a great king?"