6 [mercy]

I STROLLED THROUGH the prison halls, a stack of Marys old coloring books in hand as I approach Rosies cell.

     "Rose? Ya' in there?" I question, a small smile curling up the corners of my lips as i come into view. Though my smile instantly drops at the state of the young girl, her shaky body was curled up at the corner of her bunk.

     "Rose?" I get closer, concern raising my voice as I use my hand to carefully turn her over. Her skin was sickly pale and moist as dried blood stained the corner of her colorless lips.

     Her eyes fluttered open, they were glossy and tired implying she was crying.
"I... I don't feel good." She whispers before erupting into a coughing fit, making me jump back and lift the neck of my dirty t shirt over my nose.

     A crimson substance spewed from her mouth making my eyes widen. "Shit." I mutter out, my voice shaky and hushed.

~

     I had spent the rest of the day in an attempt to nurse Rosie back to health, though i couldn't help but feel guilty in this situation. I was the one who made her stay in her cell instead of rushing her outside just like everyone else, maybe if i had made the smart decision, we wouldn't be in this situation right now where i had no clue what i was doing.

     "Beth!" I exclaim as she walks by Rosies cell. Her head sparks up at my voice.

     "Can you please be with Rosie for just a second, i have to go talk to Hershel." I ask, though it was a simple task I immediately felt like i was asking for too much.

     "Sure." She smiles before stepping into her cell, her smile withering as she saw the state of my sister, but she doesn't complain and lifts her shirt over her nose before stepping down to Rosie.

     "Thank you." I thank the blonde as i quickly rush down the halls.

     "Carl! Have you seen Hershel?" I ask as i catch my breath, he looks around for a second.
"I think he went this way." He nods, pointing towards a direction before beginning to walk towards it.

      I followed Carl down into a hallway which was utterly trashed, papers were everywhere and cabinets were knocked to the ground.
Hershel strolled out of his office and walked into another hallway.

      "Where are you going?" Carl questions, making Hershel stop in his tracks and turn his head to the two of us, Carls hand hovering over his gun holster.

     "Im down here away from y'all 'cause you kids are supposed to stay away from me." He states simply, implying our presence was unwanted.

     "Rosies sick and i really don't know what to do." I practically beg hershel, Carls head turning to face me with a slightly sympathetic look on his face.

     "Right now theres not much you can do. But Daryl and Michonne are out getting antibiotics that should help." Hershel informs the two of us, my heart sinks into my chest. The idea of not having control over a situation like this has always scared me, i could only hope Daryl and Michonne come back successfully.

     "You're walking towards the exit." Carl points out accusingly.

     "I need to go out there." Hershel states, his voice very calm given the state of the prison at the moment.
"To the cell blocks?" Carl interrogates, tilting his head to the side.

     "To the woods." Hershel blinks. My eyebrows furrowed, the woods? What would he need there?

     "So you're sneaking out." Carl nods. I wasn't sure how it was a big deal, though i wasn't sure what he needed in the woods, i trust Hershel.