Calum - Turn the light on

Summary: You and Calum get closer after bad first impressions from both sides.
Protagonist's name is already chosen, since it's easier for me to write like that.
Sorry there's no y/n!

Warnings: mature language, angst, fluff

...

Phoebe

"Take it easy with the Jager there, my God." I grab both the bottle and the red cup from Ashton's hands. He sends me a pleading look, which I ignore. 

"I need the liquid courage." he mumbles, trying to grab them back from me. 

"What you need to do, is have more faith in yourself. Your sober self. This is your party- and you're spending it hidden in the kitchen with me, instead of going out there to talk to her." I try to wake him from the anxious spell that's been keeping him down all night. 

I watch as his features contort into numerous shades of nerves, before he finally stands up straight. Running a hand through his curls, he flashes me an uncertain smile. 

"I'm going to talk to her." he says more to himself than me, but I nod nonetheless. 

"Good. You don't need this." I point to the alcohol in front of us. "Seriously. Just go." I prompt and he exhales deeply. 

"You too." he states and I raise my eyebrows. "You need to come out there and have fun." 

I shake my head a couple of times, jumping on the countertop. 

"As long as he is out there, Phoebe stays in here." I point to myself, snacking on some pop-corn. 

"Phoebs." he challenges, looking slightly disappointed. I shrug slightly, as if telling him I don't mind hanging out in his kitchen. 

"I will not willingly subject myself to his dagger-shooting stares, come on Ash." I nearly whine as he urges me to jump off the marble kitchen isle. 

He shakes his head disapprovingly and I beg of him not to give me the speech again. 

The speech about how he absolutely despises that me and his other best friend can't fathom standing in the same room with each other, for more than five minutes at a time. 

"You're both some of my favorite people- how can you not stand each other?" he exhales as I let him drag me through the hallway, toward the large and loud living room. 

"Life is funny like that." I mock and he rolls his eyes. 

The room is dimly lit, the music is not too loud, giving you the opportunity to talk without having to yell. My nostrils flare at the scent of weed coming from the corner where Ashton and I had pushed the couches earlier. 

"I thought the help was supposed to stay in the kitchen." Calum states when he sees that Ashton returned with me by his side. 

"I thought the deadbeat assholes' party was down the street." I smile. 

"Not that I don't usually love making sure you two won't kill each other, but Kate is right there and if I don't do this now, I never will." he utters. "You're twenty-five years old. Act like it."

With that last sentiment, Ashton is gone. 

I love him for trying, I hate him for leaving me directly under Calum Hood's gaze. 

"He was talking about you." Calum wastes no time in snarking at me. 

I open my mouth to return the nicety, when my eyes lock on a lean figure pacing around across the room. He laughs awkwardly as one of his friends lightly hits his bicep.