Chapter 29

ᴋɪᴛ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

"You know, drinking all that coffee is going to upset your stomach."

I finish the last drop of my, hopefully last cup of coffee before I head out to see Jamie, my stomach feeling like it would drop at any moment, and not because of the coffee.

"I'm just... worried." I mumbled under my breath, as I saw Amber grin, from the reflection in the mirror.

I looked... fine, I wore something casual rather than smart, noticing that last night's event I was overly dressed compared to some of the people that came to Jamies opening.

"You are just nervous, it's totally understandable, he's quite the hottie." Amber said, as I gave her a stern look.

"He is." She laughed at me, as I fixed my collar again. "I'm not usually into these american guys, but I guess what they say about Steele men were true."

I glare at her and then sigh, my heart in my mouth as I try and breath through the emotions I feel in my gut right now.

"How do I look?" I ask her, as she rolls her eyes.

"Sex on legs, as always." She said, grabbing hold of me and started dragging me to the hotel front door.

"You look great Chris, and from what you told me last night, you have nothing to worry about... Jamie wanted to meet you, that means something, right?" She smiled, as I opened the front door.

My mouth went dry at her words, knowing that she's right, still, I wonder...

Jamie had sent me a text this morning, with just an address for a coffee place downtown and a time, nothing else, I knew it was him as he didn't change his number.

Looking down at my outfit one last time, I take a deep breath and lean forward to hug Amber.

"Thanks."

"Anytime." She salutes me, before grinning as she closes the hotel door behind me.

Well, fuck, here goes nothing.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

I sat inside the cafe, my foot tapping anxiously under the table as I kept my eyes focused out the window.

I came too early, as I knew I would, but I wanted to get here early to be sure this was the right place, afraid of standing him up when he was taking time and effort to come out and see me.

I checked my phone again, and the time had just gone 11AM, the time Jamie asked me to meet him.

Fuck, Amber was totally right.

I was nervous.

After making a complete fool of myself last night at Jamie's event, I didn't want to end this trip here on a pathetic note, I wanted to make things right, even if it did seem like a hopeless act.

There was no happiness, no joy or love waiting for me back home, but an empty house and an even more empty woman who I had been pushed to marry.

Ha, marry.

That was now off the table, as I made sure the moment I got to my hotel with Amber last night, after all, I knew it was a mistake the moment I laid eyes on Jamie.

It would be a mistake to marry Jessica Whipley, even if her father is my biggest client, I wasn't going to put my life on the line for my fathers company when he was gone, and could no more guilt me into life decisions.