Chapter 1 - Friend or Foe

Start from the beginning

She was wearing dark, durable boots and slim, flexible pants with a couple plates of armor. She wore a half-skirt that flowed outward on one side, it was slightly pointed and matched some of the designs on her blade, the primary colors being red. Two belts that came together at her side held up the skirt, and he could see a dagger attached. She wore a slightly thick, durable top with a few plates of armor and tighter undergarments, and shoulder pads that nearly fitted to her shoulders. Finally, even her hands were donned with dark, fingerless gloves with attached armor that reached to her knuckles and covered some of her arms. Because she was right-handed, the pocket that served as a sheath was at her right leg, with her skirt on the left.

He almost laughed, for while the young woman in front of him wasn't Heather, her weapon was extremely similar to Heather's axe. However, he had to admit the young woman would likely have no issue with either an axe or a sword, based on the design. The young woman had no trace of humor in her face, although all Hiccup could see was her bright blue eyes and the wisp of dirty blond hair across her forehead. He stopped observing when Toothless took a threatening step forward. The young woman copied Toothless' movements, and now the tip of her weapon was mere inches from Hiccup's neck.

"Do I need to repeat myself?" she asked.

Toothless let out a fierce roar, and the young woman flinched.

At least she's still human, Hiccup thought, and he put a hand on Toothless' back.

Only when Toothless complied and huffed in frustration did the young woman move her weapon away, but she didn't sheath it. Her dragon stayed hidden behind them, and Hiccup couldn't help but be impressed by her choices. Dragons were harder to hide due to their size, and easy to recognize. If he saw her dragon, it would only make her a bigger target. Clearly, she preferred keeping a low profile. However, her dragon grumbled. The young woman motioned for her dragon to stay put, but her eyes did not leave Hiccup. Now it was she who eyed him, and Hiccup decided it was time he got some answers.

"I'm not even going to bother asking who you are, because I'm sure you'd rather not tell me. What are you doing here?" Hiccup asked.

"Is it a crime to move from one place to another?" the young woman asked.

Hiccup glanced over his shoulder, hearing heavy footsteps. Her dragon was circling, remaining in the shadows. Toothless did not soften his expression in the slightest, and his tail neared Hiccup's foot in a protective curl.

"Based on your stealth and knowledge, you're either extremely lucky or you've been here before," Hiccup said, and the young woman's gaze faltered.

Then she laughed.

"I've been here a lot longer than you'd think."

"That can't be right. We would have seen you," Hiccup said, suspicion in his voice.

Was she lying? It was difficult to find a liar in a serious person.

"How about we forget this meeting ever happened and leave each other alone?" the young woman suggested, casually backing up.

"I have a feeling there's something you want from us," Hiccup answered cautiously.

"Not at the moment, no. Unless you and your friends are willing to forget this island ever existed and go back to Berk."

"Do you know who I am?" Hiccup questioned.

"You're forgetting I existed!" the young woman called almost playfully as she leaned backward slowly.

Then she broke into a run, eyes set on her hidden dragon.

"Toothless," Hiccup murmured slowly in a warning tone.