[7] The Monster Doughnut Mascot

En başından başla

"There," she said. "Past that sandbar." We veered into a swampy area choked with marsh grass. The lifeboat was beached right at the foot of a giant cypress. Vine-covered trees loomed above us. Insects chirred in the woods. The air was muggy and hot, and steam curled off the river.

"Come on," Annabeth said. "It's just down the bank."

"What is?" Y/N asked.

"Just follow." She grabbed a duffel bag. "And we'd better cover the boat. We don't want to draw attention." After burying the lifeboat with branches, they followed Annabeth along the shore, their feet sinking in red mud.

"Not a good place," Tyson murmured. He swatted the mosquitoes that were forming a buffet line on his arm. After another few minutes, Annabeth stopped.

"Here." She said, moving aside a woven circle of branches, almost like a door.

"Oooh! A secret hideout!" Y/N said gleefully, crawling into it excitedly. The inside was big enough for four, even with Tyson. The walls were woven from plant material, like a Native American hut, but water-proof. Stacked in the corner was everything for a campout—sleeping bags, blankets, an ice chest, and a kerosene lamp. Including some demigod provisions, like bronze javelin tips, a quiver full of arrows, an extra sword, and a box of ambrosia.

"A half-blood hideout." Y/N looked at Annabeth in awe. "You made this place?"

"Thalia and I," she said quietly. "And Luke." An awkward silence followed.

"So..." Percy said. "You don't think Luke will look for us here?"

She shook her head. "We made a dozen safe houses like this. I doubt Luke even remembers where they are. Or cares." She threw herself down on the blankets and started going through her duffel bag. Y/N gave Percy a pointed look. Percy had a feeling to not press the matter further.

"Um, Tyson?" Y/N said. "Would you mind scouting around outside? Like, look for a wilderness convenience store or something?"'

"Convenience store?" The cyclops rumbled.

"Yeah, for snacks. Powdered donuts or something. Just don't go too far." Percy added.

"Powdered donuts," Tyson said earnestly. "I will look for powdered donuts in the wilderness."

He headed outside and started calling, "Here, donuts!"

Y/N and Percy sat down across from Annabeth.

"Hey... I'm sorry about, you know, seeing Luke." Percy said.

"It's not your fault." She unsheathed her knife and started cleaning the blade with a rag.

"He let us go too easily," Y/N said. Annabeth nodded.

"I was thinking the same thing. What we overheard him say about a gamble, and 'they'll take the bait'... I think he was talking about us."

"The Fleece is the bait? Or Grover?" Percy said.

"Maybe he wants the Fleece for himself." Y/N said. "If I was him, I would let us the hard work and then steal it."

"I just can't believe he would poison the tree." Annabeth murmured.

"What did he mean," Percy asked, "that Thalia would've been on his side?"

"He's wrong." Annabeth's voice was hollow.

"You don't sound sure." Percy replied. Annabeth and Y/N glared at him.

"Percy, you know who you remind me of most?" Annabeth sighed, placing her knife in its sheath. "Thalia. You are so much alike it's scary. I mean, either you would've been best friends, or you would've strangled each other."