chapter 20: happy hour

Start from the beginning

My eyes wander from the deep blues of the sea to Nat's vibrant eyes. I didn't hesitate to voice out my opinions. "Your eyes." I mindlessly uttered. Even I was shocked that I said what I just said. Nat turns to face me and asks "Huh?" with confusion laced all over her face. I replied clearing up her question "Uh I meant that your eyes... they resemble the same colour as the ocean."

She nods and continues walking. She stopped to check her phone and she smiled and continued to walk alongside me. I watch her as she walks through the pier, her admiring the surroundings in grave detail. In that time, I had realised something. I didn't want to be cold and distant to my sister, not at all.

I want to open up to her.

I want to let her see my imperfections and my flaws. Being the eldest, I had to inherit my father's company and ALL the stress that came with it. Somedays I would withhold sleepless nights as I would be too caught up with work. Sometimes the stress got to me so much that I had to step outside for mere moments, but shortly after I got right back to the endless repetitive cycle.

I didn't want Nat to see this side of me though.

I didn't want her to see how stress could easily consume me entirely. I couldn't. But in the other hand, I wanted to show her everything. Everyone says that 'We are human, we all make mistakes.' Nope. Not in Vincent Morales's world atleast. I couldn't dare to make a mistake. Not in front of my employees, and certainly not in front of my brothers. I was taught to be a role model for them. I was taught to lead by example and I didn't want to dishearten my brothers by witnessing my vulnerable side.

But when I was with Nat, I could break down that barrier for her.

She made me reveal the very best within me. She did that to everyone. She had a mind of an optimist but always managed to seek the truth. She knows about the harsh reality but chooses to look away from it, and that is what I admire most about her. I could be myself around her. I haven't been myself for a while.

But now since she's back, that was all about to change.

We walk along the pier in silence. Whilst Nat enjoys the scenery I enjoy viewing her. As I watch her, I can see her emotions shift from 'in awe' to 'cautious' all in a split second. She looks around the harbour searching for something, but I can't put my finger on what it is. Why was her guard up? Did she feel uncomfortable? Was I making her feel uncomfortable? What on earth was going on?

I didn't want to seem that I was invading her emotional privacy but I was desperate to know what was bothering my princess. I muster up the courage to ask her. "Nat is something wrong?" She diverts her puzzled gaze to meet my eyes and is initially startled by my sudden query. She gulps while saying "Uhm no? Why do you ask?"

Hmm. Something is fishy.

And by that I don't mean the water, I mean her recent, strange behaviour. "You just look a bit agitated is all." I defend my instincts back solemnly and subtly. I didn't want her to feel uneasy around me. I wanted her to open up to me as soon as possible, but a part of me also knew to give her time and space which was also needed.

She looks at me like a deer in the headlights. I could tell that she was flustered by my response. I could tell that she was trying to camouflage any faces, feelings or any emotions that she had, but unfortunately for her, that wasn't going to work with me. I'm freaking Vincent Morales for fucks sake. I could pin point a lie in anyone.