The more I talk, the more concentrated Robin gets, and the tighter his eyebrows come together. I sigh, looking up at the ceiling as I think, "There are things like whump and injury tropes, which are actually very endearing, fake engagement, love triangle, secret identity, sunshine vs grumpy which I love, personally... what else is there?"

Robin shakes his head, holding his hand up, "Okay, so what ones do you have in mind for us? Because you're right, it doesn't sound all that achievable for two people to just do."

Nodding, I gesture again to the white board, "Exactly. What I need is the essence, the real-life experience, of these things. Once I have a good background of information, I can start creating characters and writing. It's just the way my brain works." Turning to look at the list I start at the top, "I think these can give me a rounded idea of what this is like."

Robin begins to read them out, "Teaching or learning a skill, coffee date meet-cute, forced proximity, one-bed trope?" This one earns me a quizzical look, but he keeps reading, "Road trip with sightseeing, achieving a childhood dream, fake dating, and amusement park?"

There's a moment of quiet before Robin scratches the back of his head, "Okay, so all of these seem do-able. He leans back into his chair, folding his arms with his coffee cup nested against his chest, "But explain how these are giving the rounded experience of romance?"

"Each one of these tropes taps into the key-figures needed to build a romance narrative. For example," I point to teaching a skill. "This one I've seen in almost every romance at some point. From Ghost to Princess Diaries, this is one moment between the protagonist and love interest that creates interaction on a more vulnerable level. But I asked myself, why teaching? What about showing someone how to pull a bow or shape a pot creates such feelings? It would be an excellent subject to test. Also, if it produces good results, I can use it in the book."

Next, I point to coffee-date, "This one works in with a lot of tropes! Secret billionaire, friends to lovers, opposites attract. It marks when events change for the protagonist and the love interest, and the story begins. Seems simple, but you would be shocked at what can transpire over a cup of coffee!"

I say this thinking of romance novels, but it instantly takes us back to what happened earlier. Stopping in my tracks, I feel the blood racing up my neck. Robin's cheeks and ears grow pink as he looks at his own coffee then raises his eyes to the ceiling again as he holds back a smile. Continuing before it gets out of hand I start on the next trope.

"Forced proximity is the juicy bit. This one will be easy; I'm not worried about it. But it usually works best when the relationship between characters is reaching a climax. So, either the protagonist or love interest are realizing they have feelings, and are trying to avoid or keep a distance, when bam you are trapped in a janitor's closet or laying in the bushes to hide from a security guard. It usually ends in a passionate confession or is good for some blanket kicking on the reader's side of things."

"Blanket kicking?" Robin smiles, the bottom corner of his mouth twisting down in amusement. "What is that?"

I stop, surprised, "Oh come on, you know, blanket kicking. You've never had that feeling when watching a movie or reading?"

He shakes his head, watching me curiously, "There's blanket kicking when someone gets murdered in bed. Is that similar?"

This time I really do laugh, "Uh... in an excited and giddy kind of way, I guess?"

He nods, looking over to the stack of romance books I have on the side table. "Are these where you learned all this stuff from?"

I nod and he stands up to cross the room. Setting down his coffee, Robin picks up one of the paperbacks, and reads the back cover. His eyes flash over to me, intrigued, before he holds it up between us. "Can I borrow a few of them?"

"Of course, as many as you'd like."

He seems pleased at this and sets the book back down before walking up to meet me by the board. Robin runs his eyes over it all once more before stepping closer toward me and folding his arms, "Why are you doing all of this?"

Backing up slightly, I set my coffee cup down on the same table Robin had set his down on. "What do you mean? I told you. There's a movie deal on the line and I promised—"

He shakes his head, "No, I mean why are you doing this? Have you not... I don't know," He rolls his eyes in search of the words, squishing his lips to the side before saying, "Dated before?"

Oh. I swallow. Smoothing my hands over my jeans, I stumble back slightly and say, "Yes, I have."

"And none of this--" He gestures to the board again, "This didn't happen to you? You never blanket-kicked over your own boyfriend?"

I can feel the heat rising to my cheeks. There's something about the way he holds my eyes with interest, that same earnest look he had when we talked at the coffee shop, which makes it impossible to look away. My heart stutters in my chest, and I do my best to avert my stare, but he follows me with his head when I try. It feels as if he can see all my previous relationships just by looking at me.

The truth is, I did have that. Once, and a very long time ago.

"Uh," I slide out from between him and the wall and walk over to the desk. Fiddling with my laptop, I shake my head, "No, not with the guys I've dated. I don't exactly go for the romantic types. I'm more of an intelligence-is-sexy kind of girl. You know, factual, realistic...academic types."

Robin watches from over by the whiteboard, not moving to come near me again. He nods and looks around, "Academic types can't be intelligent and romantic?"

Rolling my tongue over my lips, I smooth my hair behind my ear and avoid looking at him. Well, rather to avoid being looked at by him. "Not in my experience."

He leaves it at that before clicking his tongue once more at the whiteboard. "Well, then we have our work cut out for us." 

I look over at him, and his smile is friendly. Robin laughs, "Two amorously stunted strangers researching a romance novel? What could possibly go wrong?" He widens his eyes and I laugh.

At this point, everything.

----

Happy New Year Loves!!

I am pumped for 2024 and let me tell you, it's already been full of surprises for me. I hope everyone had a nice celebration and rest over the holidays. I'm looking forward to starting out the new year by continuing this little novel and having some fun. 

Speaking of which, do you think Robin is genuinely a good person, or is it just another act?? I suppose only time will tell.... 

Please vote, comment, and share if you enjoyed this chapter and the book so far! I'll see you all on Friday with another update :) 

With love, 

e.g.