37.

"That'll be Queen Emma," Daddy turned his head, "I didn't realise it was getting to be that late. Do you want to head down now and say hi to all your loyal subjects?" Karin nodded vigorously, but Daddy gently nibbled his bottom lip as he looked down at her, deep in thought. Then he asked: "I think there's still a little magic in the air, though. Do you need your diaper changing? Because it's going to be a long night."

"I'm a big girl!" Karin proclaimed, and this time it was Daddy's turn to nod in reply.

"You are. But with a fairy spell making you feel younger, I know you can't help having an accident, and you might not even realise when it's happened."

"I don't think so," Karin pouted, lifting up the folds of her frilly dress so she could check her diaper, "I'm not a baby, Daddy, I can..." but the proud speech trailed off as she put her hand on a warm, swollen diaper. Then her face turned red as a beetroot, and it looked for a moment like she was going to cry again. It was only the little inner voice that remained at the core of her mind that was really aware of how excited this embarrassment was somehow making her.

"Don't worry, it's okay," Daddy reassured her with a pat on the head, and then lifted her up onto the changing table. She was embarrassed that he had to do that, she knew that she wasn't really as young as she felt right now. But with Daddy taking care of her, his hands always gentle and his words soothing and playful, she couldn't really worry. It was only as long as the magic lasted, after all. While Daddy did whatever he had to do with baby powder and baby wipes, Karin held her medal up in front of her to remind her that she was a big girl really. She had done something she could be proud of, that was for sure, and she was going to wear it where everybody could see when she went down to see all the nobles, whatever they were here for. She tried to remember if there was some kind of meeting today, but she couldn't remember Daddy telling her anything, in between the memories of toys and games that seemed so much more important.

She was sure that whatever it was, it was going to be incredible. Any event that Daddy organised always was.

"All done!" Daddy gave her a smile, and lifted her down from the table again. The diaper hugging her bottom so snugly felt a little strange, but not uncomfortable. And it had cute pictures of pink ponies on the front, as well, which was certainly appropriate for a princess. She was about to do a twirl, accepting that she would have to wear it, when someone knocked at the door rather more heavily.

"Ohhh it'll be Queen Emma and Princess Tony!" she gasped, "They must've been waiting a long time now, I hope they're not angry."

"Don't worry," Daddy shook his head, "They'll understand. There's often things a busy king needs to deal with. Maybe I'd better go let them in, though. Can I trust you to get your dress un-ruffled so that everybody can't see your diaper, and check your hair's straight by yourself?"

"Yep!" Karin beamed, "I can do it myself!" She felt a little more confident as she said that. Because if Daddy came down before her, none of the other lords would think that he might have been distracted by royal diaper-changing duties. She really didn't want anyone to know that she'd got younger again, especially if it might get Birthday in trouble.

"I'm not gonna tell anyone," she tried to comfort the fairy as soon as Daddy was gone, "It was just an accident, and it's kinda fun being little again. Can you help me with my hair? I think my bunches aren't the same."

It probably took five minutes, with Birthday's guidance, for Karin to put her hair up so that she was happy with it. But once that was done, she knew that she was ready for whatever all her friends could throw at her. She grinned as she ran across the landing, but – as always – resisted the temptation to slide down the baluster. She skipped down the stairs though, trying to work out what might be waiting for her at the bottom.

→ Continue to chapter 16
And if you'd like to explore other paths through the story, feel free to go back to the first part and request some of the chapters that have branched off at different points!