Chapter 11

No one can hate you more than someone who used to love you.
~ Rick Riordan

Chapter 11
Her POV
With a three hour break before my next class, I found my spot on Sechs lawn—yes Sechs, named after the guy who founded the building. What an unfortunate name to have. This was my favorite place to dance on campus. In the center of the lawn was a square of hardwood where a statue once stood but was removed only a few years later after kids repeatedly broke pieces of it off by hitting it with a soccer ball, or a frisbee. That left the perfect spot to dance, outside in the sunshine on even terrain. And because no one on the team dare go near the girl who defaced the ΒΣΞ name, the spot was all mine, whenever I wanted it since they found it better to find a new spot than share the same space as me.

I set my phone to the edge where the wood met the lawn and played the track Peter and I had been using to choreograph our dance. We had only made it through three eight counts and even those could use some improving. I slipped out of my heels, running through the motions we rehearsed until I find myself lost in the music as if it and I are one. Nothing can separate me from it, nothing but a soccer ball flying straight for my head. In an attempt to miss it, I stumble back, my foot catching itself in the rut between the wood and the grass. I brace myself for impact, knowing that a broken bone could practically put me out till the end of the showcase, I don't hit the ground though. Instead I fall into a warm body that supports me with ease. "Careful, Darling. Wouldn't want to end your season early." It's as if he reads my mind.

I scoff, pushing him away from me. His hands are too warm to be wrapped around me. "I don't need your help."

His brow raises slowly and if I knew how to bite my tongue, now would have been the time. He was still her brother. "Oh, really? Because it kinda looked like you were about to hit the ground and twist that pretty little ankle of yours."

"I would have been just fine." My voice is taut as I brush off the lingering warmth of his skin.

He lets out a frustrated sigh, running a hand through his thick curls. "I didn't come here to argue."

Arguing is all we seemed to know. "Then what did you come for?" I keep my gaze elsewhere, the grass, my water, my shoes, my phone, anything but him.

He doesn't hesitate and is firm with his words. "I came to apologize."

I stilled in my tracks. "What?"

He says it again, with ease, with certainty. "I came to apologize."

I finally met his eyes, turning to face him. "Okay, let's hear it."

He makes no effort to explain himself, tongue tied on his words. It is the first time I have ever seen him stutter and part of me wondered how it was possible, how his ego could ever allow it. I help push him along, prompting his response. "You said it was for Richard. How?"

He opened his mouth, and closed it. So much for an apology. How could I expect a man like himself to ever apologize? As I turned away, collected my things, he finally spoke up. "The President of beta sigma Xi paid me to make sure you didn't make it in."

His words are like a knife to the heart, drawing out all my breath until I feel as though I might drop to my knees in pain. My words fail to leave my voice. She paid him. She hated me so much that she would rather pay someone than be around me. "How much?" My words are harsh, and I can see him visibly flinch at the sound. How much was my isolation worth to her? How much was my pain worth to him? How easily had he been bribed that he would torment a stranger?

"Enough to pay for Beatrice's surgery."

My rage leaves me almost instantaneously as Richard's bright smile flashed across my eyes as she told me how excited she was for her surgery. I could not fault him for that. I could not be angry at him for loving her enough to make the choice he'd made. I sigh, my shoulders falling from their usual taut stance. "Okay."

His expression slacked. "Okay?"

I nodded slowly. "Okay. I forgive you." I had to because I know that if it had come down to being in that sorority or paying for Richard's surgery, I would pick Richard every time.

He nodded, kicking at the grass with nothing more to say, so I just continued. "Look, I don't like you, and you clearly don't like me so let's just be friendly for Richard's sake and move on." Our relationship was not one that could be repaired. I've lived a year with Richard in my life without having to interact with him, I was sure I could avoid him for the rest of our lives, or until this whole thing blows over and it no longer feels relevant. Until I can look Richard in the eye and my guilt won't eat me alive, tear at my skin, and rip me raw until there is nothing left but my lies.

I miss his reaction and only hear his voice. "If that is what you want." He leaves without another word and I continue to dance like nothing ever interrupted but my mind lingers on the thought that maybe if I told her now, before our lies grew too thick, she might find it in her heart to forgive me.

A/N
Hi lovies!

The new AJR album came out today and I am so excited. I've had it on repeat all day.

What are we thinking of the book? Are we still enjoying it?

Today is a short chapter so I'm sorry about that. I'll try to get an extra one out next week to make up for it!

QOTD: what's a story you love to tell but rarely get the chance to?

Lots of love,
Rachelle <3