Chapter 3

If he ever lays his hands
on you
I promise you
he will, again.
~ Funke Olotu

Chapter 3
Her POV
Tw: violence
I sat in a straddle, stretching out my legs after practice. I was laid out on the center of the floor while the rest of my teammates cling to the wall in a desperate attempt to avoid me. I'm sure Emma would have warmed up with me if she were here but unfortunately she came down with a cold just before practice. She blames it on the long exposure to severe heights. Even without her though, I was not entirely alone. One member of the men's ballet team sat beside me. He was the male lead for the show, so he got to spend today's rehearsal with me instead of the rest of his teammates. I almost felt bad for him, since he got here my teammates hadn't stopped ogling him, despite knowing full well he has a girlfriend of four years. They started dating his freshman year at Winchester University and while I didn't know her, from what he had told me, she hated how much the woman's dance team sexualized him. I'm the only one he doesn't mind, because I'm the only one who stopped pursuing him the second I found out about his girlfriend.

"So, not that I mind, but is there a reason everyone here has been avoiding us?" Peter asked. I don't actually know his real name, and he doesn't know mine, so we call each other by the character we are playing, he is Peter, I am Wendy.

"Didn't you hear? I am officially a traitor to the Beta Sigma Xi name," I laughed.

His brow rose. "Oh really? You of all people. Miss, nothing will stop me from joining this sorority, is it a traitor?"

Peter had been forced to listen to me talk about the sority for a week straight during rehersal. "Oh yeah, turns out I wasn't a good fit for them. They dumped pigs blood all over me."

His eyes practically jumped out of his skull. "Blood! Are you serious?"

"As a heart attack. But it's all good, it did wonders for my skin." I framed my face with my hands. "I mean look, I'm practically glowing."

He pretended to examine my face, squishing my cheeks. "You know, your skin does feel softer."

I heard the President of Beta Sigma Xi scoff at the sight of his hands on my face. I could already imagine what she might tell the rest of our teammates during practice. "Kinda like a baboon's butt," he finished.

My smile fell. "Are you comparing my face to a monkey's behind?"

"What can I say, if the description fits."

I leaned back, my lips curving into a wicked grin. "Do you often go around touching baboons behinds?"

His grin fell, cheeks tinging red. My coach saved him before he could respond. "Great work today ladies! I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Alexia, Colton, please stay after, I'd like to speak to you."

Had this been anyone else, I might have been worried that we were in trouble, but Coach loved us. It would take a lot to upset her. Peter and I stood and met Coach by the door after everyone else left. "We need to talk about the ballad."

We spent the whole afternoon practicing, and it still didn't feel right. There was something missing, the whole thing was lackluster. "What about it?" Peter asked.

"I think we're just gonna have to scratch the whole dance." She paused to take a long look at us. "And I want you two to work together to choreograph a new one."

Our jaws fell open in synchronization. "Are you serious right now?" I squealed. Choreographing a dance had always been my dream. Ever since I was little. I'd come up with a few but never any for a crowd.