Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

I felt the world around me turn into silence. Francesca resigned this morning...before the race. Before we had our argument.

Nico looked disappointed, yet an unspoken understanding suggested he knew it was for the best.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I said. "Will she still be with us while she works out her notice?" I shouldn't have pried so much, but I wanted to have the chance to apologise again. As much as I wanted her to run into my arms and say that she wanted to be with me forever, she didn't want to be mine again. Hell, I didn't deserve to have her again. But even if she didn't want to be with me, I had to talk to her. I had to make things right.

"She's taking gardening leave since she's moving to Astro Racing. Her last day was today."

I widened my eyes in shock. Not only had she left today, but she was going to the opposition. I'd see her everywhere next year. And it was going to drive me insane.

"I understand," I said.

"I don't know what has happened between you two, but I know you'll find a way to make it right." Nico congratulated me once more, before walking over to his family.

Romain appeared by my side and held out his hand. I took it and pulled him in for a hug.

"You did well. Congratulations on the title," I said to him.

He smiled and nodded his head. "Thank you for putting up a fight. It made this season extremely enjoyable."

I laughed. "I hope we have another competitive year next season."

He placed a hand on my arm before walking over to hug his fiancée again. I watched as she ran up to him and jumped into his arms. Her legs snaked around his waist as they repeatedly placed kisses on each other's cheeks.

I once despised Romain for being so in love. Now I knew why he acted the way he did.

And I may have lost my lover forever.

***

The team had made plans to go and celebrate tonight but I couldn't bring myself to go out. I knew it was pathetic since I was facing the consequences of my own actions, but I wasn't going to be much fun for anyone.

I walked into the lobby of the hotel just as Francesca and Ayane were walking out of the restaurant.

"Francesca," I pleaded as I ran over to her. When it came to a flight or fight reaction, I always chose the latter. And fuck was I going to fight to make things right.

She looked at me with a cold, dark stare, and honestly, I deserved everything she'd thrown at me today. Including, withholding her resignation and her planned shift to the other team. Her undereyes were puffy, which was only evidence of how much I'd upset her, and her frown was tattooed. She hugged her jumper tightly, and I could tell she was afraid. I hated how she'd lost her adoring gaze.

"You resigned?" I asked softly.

She flicked her gaze up and down my body before looking at me straight in the eyes and saying, "Mind your own fucking business."

And then she was gone, walking towards the lift without hesitation.

Ayane stood in front of me with daggers for eyes. I assumed Francesca told her everything, considering she looked like she was skinning me alive in her mind.

"You really fucked up," she snapped.

I sighed, and my eyes felt heavy from holding back my sadness. "I know. But how can I make it right?"

Ayane rolled her eyes. "By leaving her alone. She doesn't want to see you again." She started walking towards the lift but then came to a halt. "Oh, and if that's not clear enough for you...that means you two are done. Broken up. Strangers."