Chapter Twenty-Eight

FRANCESCA

"Sumimasen," I said as I accidentally bumped into a passerby. We were now in Japan for the Suzuka circuit, and I had decided to train to Kyoto to explore the city my mum was born in.

I felt a sudden sense of guilt as I strolled the streets. I hadn't ever visited Japan, and I felt as if I should have a long time ago. That's why I owed it to my mother to traverse the city as much as I could today.

I started off exploring the streets, practising my Japanese with locals, and buying all the souvenirs I could. I even bought Dad a few things to send back home.

By lunch, I was walking into the side entrance of a market. The smell of hot food teased my taste buds immediately, and I felt my stomach rumble in eager anticipation of a meal. I decided I needed to do one walk-by to gauge what was on offer, but I regretted it the moment I couldn't decide what to eat. I purchased from three different vendors. Okonomiyaki for my entrée, a bowl of ramen for lunch, and a fluffy Japanese pancake for dessert.

I sat down at an empty table, the plastic chair creaking as I leaned back into it. I didn't know where to begin, but I was curious about the pancake, so I started with my sweet treat. The soft bread melted in my mouth, and I had to stop myself from letting out a moan of pleasure.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket as I went to take another bite. It was Matt.

World Champion: How's Kyoto?

I smiled, even seeing his nickname pop up on my phone gave me butterflies. It was cute how he wanted to check in with me, despite me only being gone for half a day. I placed my chopsticks down and used my thumbs to type.

Me: Amazing! Shame you couldn't come along too.

I watched the three bubbles appear on the bottom of my screen.

World Champion: I know. This training they've made us do is so boring. I've been told to get off my phone seven times in the past hour.

I laughed. Of course, he had. All drivers had been asked to attend a specific training before the race weekend due to the forecasted conditions. The Suzuka track was renowned for being brutal, but even more so when it was raining. And the weather was forecasted to be extremely bad this weekend.

Me: Just make sure you actually listen. If Romain beats you this weekend, he'll be at the top of the leaderboard.

World Champion: :(

I looked back at the monstrous amounts of food on the table in front of me. Fuck, I wish Matt was here to help me finish it all.

I grabbed my chopsticks again, feeling rusty as I attempted to pick up the ramen. Noodles splashed onto my shirt as they slid out from between the wood. I sighed. I really shouldn't have worn white today.

I wasn't sure how, but I managed to eat everything without leaving any wasted food. I carried my tray and disposed the containers into the rubbish bin, feeling extremely sluggish from the excessive number of calories consumed in one go. But it was worth every cent—and stomach space occupied.

By the afternoon, I was continuing my quest to explore the city centre, stopping when a bright and colourful store caught my eye.

I walked closer and took note of the front rack. There were a range of random items on display. Hats, bags, clothes. Inside, a giant glass cabinet showcased a range of gold jewellery. To the left, a three-tiered rack displayed numerous handmade bracelets for 500 yen each.

I picked up a blue beaded one with a small red heart in the centre. It was also placed next to a red bracelet with a blue heart in the centre. I contemplated buying one for Matt and one for me. I knew it was a bit cheesy, but the presence of two matching bracelets felt like a stroke of serendipity.