Chapter Fourteen

FRANCESCA

It was Saturday, and that meant there was another round of qualifying—for everyone except one. Nico had asked to meet up for an update on Matthias' condition, and so I was on the way to the motorhome with a coffee for myself and a coffee for each of the two men.

I arrived before Matthias and sat in the seat directly opposite Nico.

"Morning," he said chirpily.

I grinned. "Good morning. Feeling ready for the day?"

He folded his arms. "Always am." He grabbed his notebook and opened it. "Thanks for sending a copy of your plan for Matt. It looks like it's all going great."

I nodded. "It sure is. He's definitely gotten better at listening to me over the past few months. He's not there fully, but we're getting there."

Nico chuckled. "Yeah, I don't know what magic you're casting, but this morning, I'd never seen him in such a good mood. He's less aggressive in the sim now, and I think his first race back will not only demonstrate his skills, but yours too."

I didn't know why but Nico's words made me feel warm inside. I craved validation like an eldest child craved high grades. Of course, my toxic brain wondered if he was in a good mood because he went home with Isabella. Cut it out, I said to myself.

"I just want to make sure you're comfortable with everything. I know Matt can be a bit of a flirt—well actually I haven't seen him flirt in a few years but—"

Nico's sentence was cut off by the door opening, and I turned to see Matt walking in. He was wearing his race suit, probably to impress Isabella and make every other fan turn their head.

I was slightly annoyed with the timing of it all. While I appreciated that we were all here to start the meeting, I wanted to know what Nico was going to say. I didn't know what Nico was seeing because nothing was happening in this reality. Matt certainly wasn't flirting with me of all people.

"Sorry, I'm late," Matt sighed.

Nico laughed. "Never thought I'd hear the Matthias van der Burg apologise for being late." He looked at me. "Francesca's working extremely hard."

Matt looked over at me and smiled. I smiled back, trying to erase the awkward tension that had been brewing since his entrance.

"Anyway, let's talk logistics," Nico continued. "Matt, the doctor has said you're healing at a stellar rate. He'd like to see you on July fourth for another assessment."

I checked my watch, today was the first of July. If he was cleared by the fourth, he'd be able to race at the Silverstone Grand Prix. What a comeback that would be...to rejoin the competition at what he would call his home race.

"Well, I hope the doctor brings me good news then," Matt began. "It'll be a shitty birthday otherwise."

Subtle hint, I thought.

"Don't worry," Nico chuckled. "You'll get a cake with your face on it either way."

"Hope it's chocolate," Matt teased. Nico wasn't lying when he said this man had a new personality today.

"How's the reserve driver finding it all?" I asked. Matt was replaced by a younger driver, who had won Formula Two for the past two years. He obviously had to adjust to the car and conditions, but for a rookie, he was keeping De Rossi in the points each race.

Romain was continuing to lead the competition, and despite being out of two races, Matthias was still holding on to second place. He should've been thanking the FIA for awarding such a harsh penalty on Santoro Renault, otherwise, he'd likely be down into third.