Chapter 1

Please feel free to image these characters however you would like (Race, gender, appearance.. whatever comes to mind)!

A new chapter will be posted every Wednesday and Friday.

"It'll get better," Lily whispered to Genevieve, the newest orphaned shifter

"It's going to be ok," she said hoping her words sounded believable. The reality is, that it's a tough life as an orphan in the Ahjuta pack.

It's hard enough losing your parents, but then for your whole life to change so entirely. To become the property of the pack was heartbreaking.

"I've heard there are so many chores though," said Genevieve.

"You're right," said Lily. "But there's food and a safe place to sleep."

"But I've seen the rooms," said Genevieve. "They're tiny, and shared with two others."

Lily laughed. It was true. "Ok, it sucks. Does that make you feel better?"

Genevieve pulled her legs to her chest where they sat in the cold stone servants' passageway. "Not really," she said after a pause.

"It's easier to look at the positives," said Lily. "I know it probably doesn't seem like there are any, but it is a place to sleep that's safe and warm. And there is food enough."

Genevieve sniffed. Lily remembered what it felt like. It was 13 years ago now when her parents fought to the death defending the pack from rogues. She barely remembered life before it happened. Life when... she was free.

It's hard enough losing one's parents. But then to have to move, and do pack chores... It's like your whole life is ripped away. For most orphans, it's a temporary situation. By the time they turn 15, they shift. Many shift when they're younger. And once they shift they're able to take different jobs in the pack. They are treated as adults then.

But it didn't happen like that for Lily. She'd turn 17 in two months and she'd lost hope that she'd shift at all. She'd never heard of anyone shifting past the age of 15. She was only 4 when her parents died, could she be sure that her parents even were shifters?

"We shouldn't have to work as servants," said Genevieve.

"I know it's not right Genevieve, but that's just how it is right now," said Lily. "But there's nowhere else for us to go."

Genevieve sniffed again and wiped her eyes. "I miss my mom," said Genevieve.

"I miss mine too," said Lily. "There's not a day that goes by that I don't. But we have to remember we're not alone. 18 other shifters are orphaned. And we're a family. And you're part of that family now. And no matter what happens we'll still be a family."

Lily extended her hand to the young girl sitting before her. Genevieve looked at Lily with a small nod before taking her hand and hugging her.

"Ok," said Genevieve. "I'll do my best."

"That's all that anyone can ask of you," said Lily, leading the way to the hidden passageway that would take them to the kitchens where piles of plates needed washing.

Lily was tasked with retrieving the dishes after dinner. It's the worst chore. Much worse than cleaning the beds.. which is worse even from toilet duty.

It's worse because she has to be there with them. The rest of the pack. All those shifters who are so fixated on rank and superiority. Their demeaning stares made her feel worthless. She didn't feel valued here. Here where she is little more than a servant. It doesn't help that she's of age but for some reason doesn't shift. It makes her an easy target. A convenient scapegoat. Someone whom they can put down so they feel better about themselves.

The hardest part is to just keep working. She spent years holding her tongue and couldn't help but wonder how many more she could handle.

'one more plate... just one more plate now,'  she said silently in my head. 'just one more..'

"Has she gone deaf now also," said Jessica. She's the type of girl that wears too much makeup and not enough clothing. She's the kind of girl who seems to think she'll impress the Alpha by insulting the low-ranking members.

Lily caught a glance with the Alpha, who was indeed standing close by. He was a good Alpha despite the unfortunate rankings and systems of the pack. But those aren't things he can change overnight.

'One more plate now Lily. Just one more..'  she thought to herself.

She wasn't sure if Jessica said anything more. Engaged in her work, Lily wouldn't have heard her if she did. Lily didn't want to cause trouble. Certainly not tonight after such a long day of work.

Right now, she just needed to clear the remaining plates and silverware, and then she could go back to her room. Once there, she could curl up in her safe space, and write in her journal. She could allow her stress ebb away and be left with the peace of the cool night air.

Surely, that's not too much to ask for....

And yet.. apparently it was.

"Listen bitch," said Jessica who, moments later, grabbed Lily's shoulder, "I was talking to you."

"Did you need something, Jessica?" Lily said, feeling resigned. "I'm trying to do my work."

But it was the wrong thing to say.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.