Chapter Seventeen: Amelia Harper-Fillmoore

Corey and I sit in the parking lot, staring down the hospital. I glare at the clock, watching the time tick forward while also wishing it could stop for just a minute. Just a few seconds for me to finally catch my breath. 

           "It will be fine," Corey says softly. "We already know you're pregnant. This will just be routine stuff. Nothing to worry about right now. Later this week, we'll meet Miles, we'll get him accustomed to our family and then we'll figure it out from there." 

          He squeezes my hand, looking me in the eyes. I know he's trying to comfort me but I can't help thinking that he's also just calming himself down. He's hiding it decently well though. I smile and gently squeeze back. 

         I nod. "You're right." 

       "Are you ready to go?" 

        I glance over at the clock. 10:43, two minutes before our appointment. It's easiest to do it through the hospital Corey works at, although it's also a risk. Luckily, nobody should be working. 

        "I guess." 

       "It will be okay. We'll figure it out," he says. He leads forward and kisses my forehead. 

        I smile, "yeah, we will." 

       He shoots me a bright smile before letting go of my hand and climbing out of the car. He quickly comes back to my side and takes my hand again. 

       He holds it tightly as we walk into the hospital. We walk up to the front desk, Corey leaning against the counter. 

      "Hey Corey!" The receptionist, Joan, grins. "Hey Lia!" 

       "Hi!" I reply. Joan's an older lady, in her mid-60s or so. She's the absolute sweetest. Every year she gives us some cookies for Christmas, even gifts the kids little stockings of goodies. She's one of the sweetest people I've met. 

     "Hey! How are you today?" He asks. 

     "Great now that I've seen you two!" She beams. She looks down at her computer. "What can I do for you two today?" 

     "We have an appointment," I explain. 

     "Hmm let me see," she searches up our last name before an appointment shows up. Instantly her jaw drops. "Oh my gosh, this is how you guys tell me? Congratulations!" 

      "Thank you, Joan," Corey says, softly. "We just found out." 

     "Aww, you guys certainly have your hands full, huh?" She smiles. "Four little ones. How precious." 

       "Four?" I hear a voice behind us. Unfortunately for me, one I recognize. 

       We turn around and Davey's standing right behind us, starstruck. 

        "Surprise?" Corey says, his face red. 

        Davey smiles quickly hugging us. "Congratulations! Why didn't you tell me?" 

       "We've known for almost as long as you have," I say quickly. 

       He laughs. "Am I the first besides Joan?" 

      "Zeke figured it out," Corey explains. 

      "Dang, he's fast," Davey replies, laughing. 

        "Seriously," Corey replies. 

        "Also please don't say anything yet," I add. 

         He nods. "Of course. I'm always here if you need any extra help."